• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

4.0 Mustang T5 bellhousing

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Paul, you really need to nail down the tranny ratios. There seems to be some confusion as to first gear, 3.35 and 3.75. Also, don't forget to consider 5th gear when picking rear ratios. If that tranny does have a .68 fifth, you won't be liking a 3.54 or lower rear behind a 2.8. My $.002 worth, life is better with a non optimum first gear than non optimum fifth.

But then my car is a long distance cruiser.

Bill

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Paul, 98 and newer 4.0 Flywheel are 8 bolt. The 2005-2009 Mustang I think are too. The pressure plate from a 98 and newer bolted up to a 2.9 in a Ranger. I think if someone figured out a yoke for the 2005-2009 Mustang T5, it would be useable. You would need a longer drive line also as it has a very short tailshaft. Ram, Centerforce and others make HP clutches for the 2005-2009 Mustang. Paul, Have you ever thought about just putting the 2.8 heads on a 4.0 pushrod block? You would have to compare gaskets for water jacket differences. Use spacers for the intake, like they do on the 300 Buick with 215 Performer intake. You don't need a distributor if you use EDIS crank trigger ignition. I would oil through the pushrods and use stud mount on a bar roller rockers like Morana offers.

I know this is responding to an old post, but wouldn't the 2.8 heads starve the 4.0? Everything posted about the 2.8 heads say they are not the best flow wise.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I'm thinking the thought behind the 2.8 heads is the notion the 4.0 V6 could not be put in the Alpine without cutting everything up and going R&P....

Just "read" the original POST to date. I missed this one some where along the way...

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
The 2005-2009 went to 3.75 first and .73 OD, same as Camaro V6 ratios used commonly in MGB swaps. The V8 those years used 3.35 first but in a larger Tremec transmission, not T5.

pcmenten

Donation Time
From what I'm finding on the web, it seems like there are a lot of quirks about this transmission. I'll try to find authoritative sources, but the input shaft is:
- a different length than other T-5's
- has a different spigot diameter
- the spigot is designed for a needle bearing

Regarding the 4.0 with 2.8 heads concept, before I try that I'm going to take the easy way out and swap the 4.0 crank into a truck 2.8 block. I have ported heads with oversize valves and I'll pick a cam that's tuned for low to mid-range torque, kinda like the original Tiger.

Paul M.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
2008 has much thinner flange:

Attachments

• 2008 T5 2.jpg
    2008 T5 2.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 2008 T5 1.jpg
    2008 T5 1.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 29

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jim (and all), The Ford 4.0 V6 OHV 1993&94's have a 6 bolt crank bolt pattern the same as the 2.8. I have bolted the 2.8 Mutt II Bell housing to the 4.0 then bolted the '97 Mustang T5 to it.

All seems to be working so far.

I have an auto tranny A4LD (2wd) also bolted in on a trial basis. It is a bit narrower than the T5. It is also 6" longer.

With the slip yoke it works nicely as for clearance in the tunnel.

I read that the T5 would not hold up well behind the 4.0.... Why is that? If the T5 runs well behind a 5.0?

I have been given a '93 Explorer 4.0 V6 OHV complete so I now have everything to pursue the fuel system modifications.... A friend that is well versed in the FORD's seems to think He can modify the current Injection body for the Alpine. If so, I told him to have at it:D

Another area that came to mind was the use of a C3/4 automatic bell housing with an adapter plate for the T5. The C3 Bell housing is about 3/4" shorter/less depth than the Mutt II.

Has anyone looked into that possibility as a substitute for the Mutt II bellhousing?

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have bolted the 2.8 Mutt II Bell housing to the 4.0 then bolted the '97 Mustang T5 to it.

I read that the T5 would not hold up well behind the 4.0.... Why is that? If the T5 runs well behind a 5.0?

It may be referring to the Non-W/C T5. Also the T5 behind the 5.0 was built for the higher HP and torque.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
The same guys that blow the spider gears in the 7.5 Mustang rears. Usually by supercharging or turbocharging the 4.0 V6. They end up with more HP and Torque than the stock V8 Mustangs. I think the newer V6 T5 is plenty strong for more normal use.