• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

3059F on Stromberg 150CD ?

Fastback

Donation Time
Indicates "front carb" for the matched set of 150 CD's. Rear one SHOULD be stamped with same number, but suffix "R". Got your carb problem fixed?

Wayne

am99ey

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks Wayne, no have not fixed it finally. Found the cause on housing crack and worn needle-seat on the "R". Have done a workaround with a seat assembly from a Rapier '71 for the R carb.
SS is out of stock for rebuild kits, but promised me to deliver soon

Are F and R carbs not interchangable? I have an offer from Midland for 2 carbs stamped with 3059F, £30 ($60) each. Will I be able to convert a F to an R ?

Fastback

Donation Time
Are F and R carbs not interchangable? I have an offer from Midland for 2 carbs stamped with 3059F, £30 ($60) each. Will I be able to convert a F to an R ?

Conversion is possible; difference is in length of throttle shaft and related linkage (F and R carbs differ). Are you dealing with 150 CD, 150 CDS, or 150 CDSE carbs? Have all three varieties on this side of the pond. 150CDSE's are typical to 69/71 Alpine GT/Rapier; slower on the throttle return than 150 CD's, however. Price sounds reasonable; comparible to recent ebay sets.

Wayne

am99ey

Gold Level Sponsor
They are 150CD. I had a close look at them. The housing looks the same, apart from the vaccum connector for the ignition advance on the R. I think it should be possible to convert a F<>R with changing the shafts and gear also.

The Rapier had a bras jet assembly, the alpine's are aluminium, but look exactly the same.
The jet is stamped with O6 (6O) or 9O. The needle size and spring I did not figure out.

On the alpines carbs are three stamps on the flange : "B" and "3059F/R" and "E66" . Are these on yours too?

Andy

Wombat

Donation Time
Andy

Another difference between the front and rear carbs is the location of the fuel inlet. If you use a rear carb on the front you will have to modify your fuel plumbing. Not a big problem I suppose.

The springs are identified by the colour they are painted. i have seen reference to red, blue, grey and unpainted. Here in AU the single carb Hillman Hunter used one colour spring and the twin carb used another.