• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

26000 mile engine

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
hi all

As some of you know I bought a used 2.8 V6 a couple of years ago. The engine had approximately 26000 miles on it. At the suggestion of Jose (and with my limited bank funds also a factor) I elected to install the engine "as is" and not tear it down for a rebuild. When I bought the engine the oil was clean, the engine turned over okay and there were no obvious external issues.

Fast forward 18 months - The engine is now mated to my 5 speed tranny and I have had some driving time in the car. So far, so good. The engine starts easily, runs well, runs cool, and has no apparent issues.

So - thanks Jose for trusting the 2.8 and encouraging me to run it as is. BTW, I am not interested in this car being a dragster. I just wanted a reliable, dependable car for "confident cruising".

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Paul,

A 26,000 2.8 V6 Ford engine, is barely broken in. You should get many plasureable miles out of it, and it should last for years.

Not every V6 Alpine conversion needs to be a hot rod. A stock V6 will still outperform the old four cylinder and put a grin on your face.

Enjoy it.

Jose

pcmenten

Donation Time
Paul, congratulations on finding a good running engine.

Because our V6 engines are 'old school' with flat tappets, solid lifters and rocker shafts, you'll need the right kind of motor oil to keep the engine from self-destructing. Motor oil for current engines don't have the type of lubricant that the V6 needs. Here's a link that explains.

ZDDP in motor oil.

You'll know if things are going wrong when you adjust your rockers. If you find that one or more rockers keep going out of spec and getting noisy, that's the lobe on the cam starting to go flat.

One last point; people sometimes use the motor oil for diesel engine. It might work ok but it has a different kind of ZDDP. It's probably best to use the oil designed for gas engines.

Paul M.