• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

25-spline clutch alignment

ziebellski

Donation Time
Does anyone have advice on what tool I can use to align my Series V's 25-spline clutch? My local shops don't carry the traditional alignment tools anymore, just an OTC universal set.

Todd
Wisconsin

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Alignment tool

Try Sunbeam specialtist of Calif.

Rick or Rich they have what you are asking for.

ziebellski

Donation Time
SS has nothing for the 25 spliner. I went to NAPA and bought a universal clutch tool set instead. It didn't come with instructions, but after a few minutes of fiddling around I figured how the tool worked. I thought the alignment had to be really, really precise, but that's not the case.

Todd

chazza

Donation Time
The number of splines is irrelevant, because an alignment tool can be made, which has the same O.D. as the internal diameter of the splined hub,

Cheers Charlie

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
I haven´t used an aligning tool for years. The clutch disc on the cars I´ve worked on, has the disc the same diameter (almost) as the pressure plate ring. I just tighten the bolts so that the disc can still be moved with the fingers and feel all around the pressure plate, where it is open, and move the disc to where it is even all the way around. I then tighten the bolts in an even way to the torque setting. I have found that this is close enough to be able to mount the transmission without any trouble.

Jose

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
You ar talking "experience".... and I'd bet a lot of trial&error over the years.

Been there and done that too!

But an alignment tools is a nice'ity!

Just received part of the kit! Looks nice!

Will send you a PM shortly,

oLD lIMEY

Donation Time
I haven´t used an aligning tool for years. The clutch disc on the cars I´ve worked on, has the disc the same diameter (almost) as the pressure plate ring. I just tighten the bolts so that the disc can still be moved with the fingers and feel all around the pressure plate, where it is open, and move the disc to where it is even all the way around. I then tighten the bolts in an even way to the torque setting. I have found that this is close enough to be able to mount the transmission without any trouble.

Jose

I have also used this method and it works well.