• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

205/50-15s on a Series II?

EriktheAwful

Donation Time
I've been searching the forum for info on fitting 205/50-15s on my Series II. I need wheels and tires and I figure the Spec Miata tire ought to be available in good compounds for a few years more. I'm not afraid of trimming the fender lips since I'm already removing 1/2" of bondo from the rear quarters, but don't want to go so far as building fender flares. I was thinking a 15x6 rim with 28mm offset, but it looks like the earlier cars had less clearance than the later cars, is that true? It also sounds like fit differs from car to car. I want to the same wheel/tire combo at all four corners. Is this doable on a Series II?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I don't know if Alpine wheel clearance varies by Series, but I do know they vary within Series. Sometimes differently on each side of a car (mine).

Bill

Imperialist1960

Donation Time
Series II Wheels/Tires

I have not yet purchased, but am planning on the 205/50/15 size because it has been the defacto size for small performance cars for the last 25 years.

If you visit Tire Rack online and type that size in, you'll find that selection is excellent. If you plan to stay out of the rain, the ultra performance or even track tires will return incredible grip. Dunlop Direzzas are on my list.

$100 a corner seems to buy an awful lot of tire.

---

Search "Sunbeam Wheel Rota" on ebay. There are probably better wheels out there: these are made in the Phillipines. The better ones are likely to be double the cost of these. How much of that is name-branding and how much gets you better/lighter/stronger wheels would be a consideration.

Since I'm not prepping a race car, I'm OK shaving a little on this area. Polished lips on aluminum wheels are a plus for me.

---

A determined person could use cardboard to mock up the wheel/tire and get close to double check, remove a wheel from their car, and do a preliminary check for clearance. Check the archives - I saw a few similar threads there that

Careful on the offset and the seller's return policy - most ebay people are not hot on returns. 25mm seems to be the answer on others' posts, and some of the wheels up there are only 15.

Offset is defined here:

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=101

A search of the Archives on this topic of wheels/tires may be helpful.

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Just a note, the old Fox body Mustang wheels work they have the right off set and are 15" with the 205s it should work but some trimming may be in order:cool:

jammont

Donation Time
Series ii

I have 205 50/15 15x7 on my series 2. They are the factory turbine wheels
off a 5.0 pony. I had to trim the front valence and the rear wheel well lip.
I had to put the series 2 rear shock conversion kit which helped tire rub on large bumps in the road. I am sure with a 15x6 rim this would fix that problem.
Looks real good though.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
tires

205 50/15 seems to be a good choice were on the third Tiger with this set up, Dunlops are a good choice but you might look at Falkens also as to trimming the front valence and or the rear pinch weld this seems to be the normal deal, also we have a track width of 53" and are using a 32MM offset
4.437 backspace, Bills comment is perfect the sheet metal on the latest Tiger was "slightly" differant side to side Huh!

EriktheAwful

Donation Time
I was under the impression the Mustang II wheels were a bolt-on, but the later Fox-body 5.0 Mustangs had different spacing that wouldnt' fit on a Sunbeam. Am I wrong? If so that really widens my wheel possibilities.

bashby

Donation Time
My SV has 195/50-15's an the front and 205/50-15's on the rear, 195/55-15's will fit on all 4 however, slight trimming of the front valance was necessary as I lowered the car ~2". I have a Ford 8" in the rear so width was something I could adjust for. Wheels are 15x6 with 4-5/8" backspace, may go to a 15x7 in the rear.

EriktheAwful

Donation Time
Update - I bought a set of Mustang 5.0 Turbine wheels from a coworker. They're 15x7 and came with a pair of 215/60-15s and 225/60-15s. The 225s don't fit. They rub the springs and would rub the fenders under compression. The 215s might fit in back. I think I'll have to buy some 205/50-15s for the front.

Fills the fender a little too well.
6cly.jpg

Almost 1/4" clearance from the spring.
3om3.jpg

Looks like it will clear the fender once I've rolled it.
9qfw.jpg

Hodee

Donation Time
This is what 15X6, 24 offset looks like with 215/60/15 front and 115/60/15 rear looks on my ser V. Fills the wells really well and large rear diameter helps keep hwy rpms down. The front valence was trimmed and a little bit of the rear lip. No rubbing anywhere,even on big bumps. Clears the leaf springs by 1/4 inch.

Attachments

• mycar.JPG
    mycar.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 57

alpine_64

Donation Time
I've been searching the forum for info on fitting 205/50-15s on my Series II. I need wheels and tires and I figure the Spec Miata tire ought to be available in good compounds for a few years more. I'm not afraid of trimming the fender lips since I'm already removing 1/2" of bondo from the rear quarters, but don't want to go so far as building fender flares. I was thinking a 15x6 rim with 28mm offset, but it looks like the earlier cars had less clearance than the later cars, is that true? It also sounds like fit differs from car to car. I want to the same wheel/tire combo at all four corners. Is this doable on a Series II?

Short answer yes... and no..

all 4 the same.. sure.. and at 6" that should be fine.. but might need a touch of negative camber on the front to ensure the tops of the wheels are inside the guard.

On the trimming.. its car to car.. if your springs have setlled the car will be lower.. if they have been changed.. lower or higher... if its been in a hit/ had castor changed.. it will change wheel location.. long and the short.. you need to try it... the test is when the leading edge of the tyres trun inwards to the body.