• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

2 pin electrical socket on the left(driver side) of a 1725 engine.

aservfortom2

Donation Time
I recently installed a new high torque starter on my 67 series V and noticed a 2 pin electrical socket on the block. I have referred to the owners/repair manuals but I have not come across any documentation on what this hookup might be. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
I recently installed a new high torque starter on my 67 series V and noticed a 2 pin electrical socket on the block. I have referred to the owners/repair manuals but I have not come across any documentation on what this hookup might be. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
A pic or two may help.

aservfortom2

Donation Time
Sorry, no better response than hdar5702 but was wondering how you like the starter.
Big improvement over the Lucas starter although that starter had severely worn gear drive that I have since replaced and added to the stock of used Alpine parts which will probably go unused for years to come as I'm sure is common for many owners. The new British starter gets the engine turning over immediately, is smaller in size , adjustable for fitment and made of high quality materials. They are pricier but the quality is top notch.
A pic or two may help.
I'll try to get a pic or two posted soon.
my guess is it may be a block heater installed by a previous owner
I hadn't thought of that, but that does make sense. The car struggled quite a bit with the old starter in cold weather and did better when I used a dipstick heater element to keep the oil warm. Hoping the new starter eliminates the balky starting issue. Thanks for your imput.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
A very significant advantage of the Hi-Gear type starters is that they operate on the opposite side of the ring gear. As a result they mesh with unworn teeth and it is like getting a new ring fitted. They also spin the engine over really fast to get it started.
Tim R