• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

2.8l radiator mods

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
My "darkside" Series 1 conversion took another step forward with the initial test fitting of the 2.8l engine and T-5.

Next the headers go on in order to check "left to right" placement.

This means it is past time to have the Series 1 radiator recored to 3 core and modify the radiator house outlets.

The hose outlet that moves to the top looks straight forward - but in its new location does it need to angle a bit towards the engine?

The corresponding gooseneck on the manifold points towards that top corner of the radiator.

The hose outlet that moves to the bottom also raises questions.

Dan Richardson (thanks Dan) provided a re-made gooseneck that bends upwards from the engine about 35--40 degrees...so a radiator hose will need to angle from there to the radiator in very close spaces.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

I'd very much appreciate hearing from those with experience in fitting a radiator to a 2.8l v6 project. Pictures of solutions would be extremely helpful.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Allan,

You don´t need to point the upper inlet nipple of the radiator toward the engine. Just leave it straight and you can use a curved hose to cinnect them.

The lower nipple should be an elbow and should be placed to the extreem end of the radiator, coming out of the bottom of the lower tank, rather than coming straight back like mose radiators. the lower leg of the elbow, should point toward the middle of the radiator, but not be longer than 1" to 1.5" long. If you make it longer than that, you will have passed the engine inlet and will play heck trying to find a hose that won´t kink when you put it on.

The elbow doeasn´t need to hang down more then a 1/2" below the bottom of the bottom tank. Just enough room to be able to slide a hose on it and the hose clamp.

Jose

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks Jose,

To make sure I have it right, I'll dummy up a mock outlet on the radiator and send a picture to you.

I have reached a temporary stopping point and will use the time to get the radiator redesign the way it needs to be.

britbeam

Donation Time
V6 Radiator

Hi Allan,
If you are going to be at Norcross on the 12th,I will be there with my conversion and your welcome to take pics of the radiator install.
Dwain V6 Krazy

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Hi Allan,
If you are going to be at Norcross on the 12th,I will be there with my conversion and your welcome to take pics of the radiator install.
Dwain V6 Krazy

Dwain - thx I'll be there and look forward to seeing you and your car.

Photos would be a huge help!

Imperialist1960

Donation Time
V6 Radiator

I took my sunbeam unit to the radiator guy and he whipped out a new radiator for a V6 toyota that is a high density unit. Cheaper to redo the inlet/outlets on that and new than to redo the stock unit.

The unit is almost a perfect fit for the application, and leaves just the right amount of room on the passenger side for a cold-air box for the intake snorkel.

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
I took my sunbeam unit to the radiator guy and he whipped out a new radiator for a V6 toyota that is a high density unit. Cheaper to redo the inlet/outlets on that and new than to redo the stock unit.

The unit is almost a perfect fit for the application, and leaves just the right amount of room on the passenger side for a cold-air box for the intake snorkel.

sounds good - when finished post a photo of the installation.

Imperialist1960

Donation Time
V6 Radiator

Radiator is 25"w x 12"d.
I had to have the fittings rearranged, but that took about 15 minutes.
The driver side lower corner got adjusted to fit the frame rail with a ballpeen hammer.

I don't know application.
V6 Sienna, perhaps.

My guy looked at the sunbeam unit and walked over to the wall and plucked the unit that I have now out and said that this was a cheaper, better alternative that was "high efficiency" and so forth.

Installed:
http://s733.photobucket.com/user/im...version/20150906_0022471_zpstb5thyqg.jpg.html

Uninstalled:
http://s733.photobucket.com/user/im...nversion/20150409_163858_zpspjxfclta.jpg.html

Adapted thermostat housing:
http://s733.photobucket.com/user/im...nversion/20150409_152056_zpsju7z2ozb.jpg.html

Adapted thermostat housing II:
http://s733.photobucket.com/user/im...nversion/20150409_163936_zpspcfizobc.jpg.html

I have documented all steps including the wheel disc brake setup from a Contour and I will offer the document to the club website administrators.

I must do the wiring harness, some detail work on various bits, paint the car, and throw an interior kit at it. Then get to drive it and have fun.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Kenyon, Would like more info and pictures of your brake conversion. Front and rear? What master cylinder?

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Hi Allan,
Dwain V6 Krazy

I've noticed a few differences between the early and late radiators as well as the radiator openings in the chassis.

The differences impact a v6 installation.

My Series 1 chassis for example has twice the raised lip surrounding the radiator opening in the chassis as is present in late series Alpines. The raised lip pushes the radiator another 1/4 inch or so towards the fan blade.

This decreases room within the already tight space between the radiator and fan blade.

The Series 1 radiator in turn is wider and thinner than a late series radiator, but the Series 1 radiator sits on raised feet to lift it higher than the metal lip surrounding the radiator opening in the chassis.

I'll know pretty soon if I need to flatten the raised lip as well as remove the Series 1 radiator feet and replace them with "flat feet" to gain the needed clearance between fan blade and Series 1 radiator.

I look forward to seeing your v6 setup this Saturday.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Allan,

You can trim off that raised sheetmetal so that the radiator sits a bit more forward to give you clearance to the fan. I did this on a Series II I helped convert.

Jose

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Jose, thanks.

I cut the raised 1/2" lip at all four corners and folded it flat all around for purposes of test measurements.

With the chassis radiator opening now flat, a volvo fan blade (plus fan belt pulley) clears the Series 1 radiator case.

The Series 1 radiator's raised feet will have to be modified when the radiator goes in for 3 core, and outlet rearrangement.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I like the....

Water hose connections...

Kenyon, sure would like to have the info as to what car and series the Radiator fits.

DanR

Last edited:

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Hi Allan,
Dwain V6 Krazy

Dwain,

It was good to see you at the Norcross show and to see your Alpine.

I remembered that your Series 2 v6 is amazing and seeing it again was a real pleasure.

I see now how the early Alpine radiator can be amended to include a lower outlet that works with a 2.8l Ford v6.

It's a little more tricky than altering a later Alpine radiator since it has the tank areas on the sides, not on the top and bottom.

The new outlet has to be placed on the lower corner.

I managed to get the radiator in place with the volvo fan blade installed and can use a length of radiator hose as a guide to put the new outlet in the best position.

While everything was hooked up, I noticed a new (to me) issue, which is clearance of the volvo fan blade past the crankshaft bolts.

This is a separate issue. I believe Dennis offers a 3/8" spacer. I'll contact him about it.

In the meantime I am grinding the threads from a 1 inch jam nut to make a spacer, but it is a half inch thick and the extra 1/8 inch is needed for space between the fan blade and the radiator.

It looks like the raised feet on the early radiator will have to be replaced with feet like the late series Alpines have. This will create a half inch or so of additional space in front of the radiator.

Dwain, thanks again.