• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

2.8 V6 Timing Cover questions

kmathis

Donation Time
Ok, so I probably didn't follow the proper procedure locating my timing cover to insure that my front seal won't leak. If I remove the cover so I can correct this, I do have a question about the front main seal:
Where do I locate the seal in the cover? toward the front of the cover, middle or all the way back? there is enough room to stack three of them in there. Hey, maybe that's the answer. I currently located it mid way.

I do want to get this right, my 1725 leaks enough so if I can prevent a leak in the future, I would sure like to do it now than after I do the swap.

I did get my Transmission mods done so far this week, so I am getting closer to mocking up the engine, bell housing and trans.

Thanks for your help.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I looked in the Pruett book, but all it says is to install the seal using the Ford tool. On my 289 it says to press it in all of the way. I think If you look at the crank damper/pulley, you should see where the old seal rode.

socorob

Donation Time
If you stil have the top part of tour offy intake off, could you post a picture of what the top part looks like from the bottom? Thinking about fuel injection and hate to pull mine off just to see what it looms like. Thanks b

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Kelly,

You did it right. I recommend putting it in the middle of the bore.

Jose

Ok, so I probably didn't follow the proper procedure locating my timing cover to insure that my front seal won't leak. If I remove the cover so I can correct this, I do have a question about the front main seal:
Where do I locate the seal in the cover? toward the front of the cover, middle or all the way back? there is enough room to stack three of them in there. Hey, maybe that's the answer. I currently located it mid way.

I do want to get this right, my 1725 leaks enough so if I can prevent a leak in the future, I would sure like to do it now than after I do the swap.

I did get my Transmission mods done so far this week, so I am getting closer to mocking up the engine, bell housing and trans.

Thanks for your help.

kmathis

Donation Time
If you stil have the top part of tour offy intake off, could you post a picture of what the top part looks like from the bottom? Thinking about fuel injection and hate to pull mine off just to see what it looms like. Thanks b

Robbie: For some reason it won't let me post a picture; I will send you an e-mail.

kmathis

Donation Time
Thanks for letting me know about that, Dennis; I have been meaning to hang it from the ceiling since I bought it; it is a future project.

On the timing cover location; I checked my front main seal and I was off center by a lot, so I pulled it off, put new gaskets on dry and a new front seal and centered it with the damper pulley, tightened up the bolts and that was that. I definetely would have had an oil leak out the front on start up.
It is no wonder that the Ranger/Bronco II owners complain about the 2.8 leaking out the front seal. You just have to know the tricks. I am trying to learn them before I do this swap.

Thanks for everybody's input on this board.