• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

2.8 V6 questions again

mr.vman

Donation Time
I have the Mustang 11 complete engine and the Ford Ranger complete engine. Is there a difference in the engine front covers? I noticed a different water pump number, pulleys appear the same. Cylinder heads, since the Ranger heads checked good, is there a difference between the Ranger heads and Mustang heads, besides the lower smog holes (both engines have the holes in the lower ports). I am about to send the Ranger heads out for the big valves and porting, want to be sure not wasting money. Heads are typical 80's casting thin. Would not want to mill much off the head fire face.
Oil pans, is there a shallow rear sump pan? Have the Range pan which is rear sump. The other engine I have is front sump, perhaps an inch deeper. I need ground clearance.
Thank you for the help. Steve V.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Steve, from what I have experienced the heads are the same. Water pumps are very different with the Ranger style being "sticking out toward the radiator by several inches.

The Timing cover you need is the MuttII style.

The rear sump on the Ranger is correct for the Alpine conversion. You need the rear sump oil pick up and the dip stick from the Ranger need to be in the rears of the engine.

If you want "new" Rear Sump Pan and also the "rear Pick up" Auto Zone had then. The pan about $63.00 at the store and the Pick up for about $34 also at the store.

Make sure you specify Ranger/Bronco II 2.8 V6 two (2) wheel drive and not four wheel drive. They are a bit different.

mr.vman

Donation Time
DanR, Just checked AutoZone, 4WD and 2WD oil pans and pickups both have same numbers. Will I have ground clearance with the 4WD oil pan I now have? Or cut an inch off the bottom? Need to check on front timing cover differences as I have both. Thanks. Steve V.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
The Ranger/Bronco II Oil pan (Rear Sump) is what we all are using. Clearance is no problem that I know of. I could take a few measurements or maybe a PIC.

Both jose's and mine sit the engine about the same height, so unless you have fabricated your own that should not be a problem.

DanR

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Attached is the comparison of the timing cover difference. The blue one (with the rust) is the correct one for our use.

Attachments

• Timing Cover real small.jpg
    Timing Cover real small.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 53