• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

2.8 V6 oil capacity

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
Gave my new V6 an oil change a month ago. Since it's not yet a driver I delayed asking this question. Anyway, oil and filter change. Put 4 qt. new oil in, started and ran it to fill the filter. Dipstick now reads about 2 qt above full, obviously wrong.

Anyone know the oil capacity of a 2.8 in a Jose compliant car?

Thanks

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hillman, I had/have the same problem when I put in oil . In fact the manual states 4 1/2 qts. w/ filter. I had oil coming out the rear seal at an alarming rate.
I now run 3 quarts w/ filter change w/o any apparent harm, and still have a slight seal leak but not bad enough to pull the engine .
I don't understand it nor has anyone been able to explain why this is the case but as far as I know you and I are the only one's to bring up the issue on the forum.

canuck pride

Donation Time
May I ask what filter your using and is that with the ranger adapter?
And what year of oil pan , and from what ranger,bronco and year. This might help us out your problem. Mike

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
May I ask what filter your using and is that with the ranger adapter?
And what year of oil pan , and from what ranger,bronco and year. This might help us out your problem. Mike

Mike, I am using a Wix 51347 filter [a mid sized one] w/ the Ranger adapter. The engine is an 83 Bronco II w/ it's oil pan and dip stick.
During the conversion I had some Mustang II parts lying about and now I am wondering if maybe I actually used a II dipstick and tube.. Is there a significant difference ?
I have a good oil pressure of about 50 at road speed and 20-25 at idle.

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
I bought my car converted, so I don't know where the various pieces came from. The car lives across town, so IIRC oil filter was thinner and taller than a PH8,

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Apparently, Bob used an oil filter adapter from a Pinto. The Pinto used a different oil filter adapter than the Rangers, because there was a lot less room between the oil filter and the frame rail. If I remember correctly now, the engine he used was from a Pinto wagon, so that would explain the smaller diameter filter. That is why I recommend not using the Pinto adapter, because the filters for the Pinto adapter are more expensive than a regular Ford oil filter; about twice as expensive, if I remember correctly.

Jose

I bought my car converted, so I don't know where the various pieces came from. The car lives across town, so IIRC oil filter was thinner and taller than a PH8,

canuck pride

Donation Time
Hey mike I would have to agree with Jose and MikeH.
That filter your using is about half the size of the big ranger one.
Maybe half a quart. Mike

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
Sounds reasonable, thanks.

As aside, do I have the wrong distick? No big deal, I can and will compensate.

AL

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Al,

I wouldn´t worry about another dip stic, I would just put in 4.5 quarts, run the engine so the filter and all the engine galleries fill, then put the dip stick in and them mark the full line wherever the oil mark is. Saves a lot of bother and can be an easy way to know where your oil level is.

Jose

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
So, I have a really bad main seal and that is not what I wanted to know.
The full level will be a good inch above the full mark on the stick.

bluoval

Donation Time
marking dipstick

Had the same problem as to oil lever so I went with the known Oil amount and attempted to mark the dipstick. seems the dipstick is a realt hard steel and tried a file it did not make a dent in it. Anyone have any luck in marking the dipstink I woult love to know how it was done. Thanks Earl bluoval

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Earl,

If you have a grinder with a wire wheel on one side and a stone wheel on the other, you can carefully touch the dip stick to the spinning wheel and it will leave a mark that you will easily see.

Jose

socorob

Donation Time
I put 5 quarts in then measured down to where the oil line was and went to a upullit yard and found a Toyota dipstick that was really close