• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

2.8 to T5 bell housing

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mike, I just contacted Jose about my being able to get a Mercury Capri Mfg in Jan 79.

It is a 2.8 V6 with a 4SP (Marked as: R, 1, 2, 3, 4/OD). I'm checking tomorrow to see if it has the Alum bell Housing.

Well, either way it's mine for a conversion that is under way!

Jose said I was fortunate to fine it! I think so too!

THe bell housing if Alum as Jose suggested will hook to the T5 just fine!

The water pump and Timing cover will also fit.

What info do you have on a car like this?

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Chuck,

All the Capris came with the rear sump oil pan, and is why it is a perfect engine for this swap. It has all the early front dress items, plus the rear sump pan. Since it has a four speed behind it, it will have the correct bellhousing too, because Ford went with the five speed transmissions in all their cars from 1979 and on. The four speeds weren´t used after 1978 Mustang II was made.

Dan lucked out all the way around. I seriously doubt that there were many Capris made with the 2.8 V6, so it is a rare car to begin with.

Jose

And that Capri 2.8 should have the correct oil pan for the conversion...I think.:)

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mike, I just contacted Jose about my being able to get a Mercury Capri Mfg in Jan 79.

It is a 2.8 V6 with a 4SP (Marked as: R, 1, 2, 3, 4/OD). I'm checking tomorrow to see if it has the Alum bell Housing.

Well, either way it's mine for a conversion that is under way!

Jose said I was fortunate to fine it! I think so too!

THe bell housing if Alum as Jose suggested will hook to the T5 just fine!

The water pump and Timing cover will also fit.

What info do you have on a car like this?

Don't know much about the Capris. But the part number I have for the Ford bell housing is D4ZA-6394-CC. I don't know if the same number is on the Capri or not. But from What I can find the 79 - 86 Capri was a modified Fox body Mustang. The 2.8 I have came from a 79 Mustang, but it was an automatic, so I can't speak for the bell housing. Apparently the 79 Capri 2.8 with a 4-speed is a rare animal.

Here's a link for The Fox body Capris

http://myplace.frontier.com/~capriclubchicago/caprihistory.html

Jon H

Donation Time
I think I have been barking up the wrong tree. Is the bell housing I am looking for from a Mustang II to a 4 speed not a T5?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
If you are planning on the JOSE V6 Conversion as I am, you need a '74 thru '78 Mustang II 4 sp Transmission Bellhousing.

At least that is what I have as per Jose's instructions.

I am in the process of getting a "good" rebuildable V6 2.8 engine at present.

The one I bought first came out of a '75 Mustang II/ It had the front engine parts and the correct Bell housing. Only thing wrong was bothe heads were cracked in two cylinders each and the engine had several cracks in the water jackets. One cylinder chamber was also cracked.

My Machine Shop said if push came to shove they could repair the cracks and install a cylinder liner. Only thing there is the additional expense of about
$200.00.

The gentleman I purchased the Mustang II from has attempted to make good by giving me a '79 Mercury Capri RS 2.8 V6 with a 4sp transmission that has OD in fourth gear.

The front engine parts are the same as the Mustang II. However, the bell housing appears to be different.

I pulled the engine last this aftenoon. Also removed the drive shaft. The front yoke fits the '97 Mustang 3.8 V6 T5 transmission that I already have on hand.

Next I will see how it fits in the '65 SIV drivetrain tunnel.

I will continue with the removal of the Overdrive Transmission and all of the electrical "stuff" tomorrow.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Dan,

I don´t recommend sleeving these engines because of the thin wall casting design. You will be better off using the Capri engine you´ve been offered.

How does the bellhousing from the Capri differ from the Mustang II bellhousing? Is the bolt pattern for the transmission different? If the bolt pattern is the same, you should be able to use it in place of the Mustang Ii bellhousing.

If you can buy the Mustang II bellhousing from the bad engine, and the Capri bellhousing will work, would you save it for me? Please let me know as soon as you find out. OK?

Jose