• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

2.8 timing cover

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
Does anyone know a source for remanufactured timing covers? I have one marked 83TM6059 BA 17519 G3, but it has a couple of chipped places around the bolt holes. Is this the correct cover? I recall reading somewhere that a Mustang II cover was the right one. This came off a Ranger/Bronco, I suspect.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Does anyone know a source for remanufactured timing covers? I have one marked 83TM6059 BA 17519 G3, but it has a couple of chipped places around the bolt holes. Is this the correct cover? I recall reading somewhere that a Mustang II cover was the right one. This came off a Ranger/Bronco, I suspect.
Hi Sam,

The timing cover you have IS from a Ranger/Bronco II. The number that starts with an 83, is one from 1983 and later. The correct one for the conversion, starts with the number 74, that is when the 2.8 was first introduced, and was installed on the 2.8 V6 till sometime in 1979.

The 1972/73 Capri's had a short water pump too, but finding a timing cover and water pump for one of these would be like finding hens teeth, plus, the cost would be prohibitive.

Jose:)

Jim E

Donation Time
I have one MII timing cover left, but do not have the pulleys. Cover is $125 plus shipping.

Oh and not sure I have the water necks but those can be got new at NAPA and such.

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks, guys. I'll get back to you, Jim, if I can't locate one.
The one I have fits the engine fine, but I guess there's a space problem that makes the MII one a better overall fit, right?

Which means I'll have to get another water pump. Duh.

Sam

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Thanks, guys. I'll get back to you, Jim, if I can't locate one.
The one I have fits the engine fine, but I guess there's a space problem that makes the MII one a better overall fit, right?

Which means I'll have to get another water pump. Duh.

Sam
The reason the early water pump has to be used, is that the later pumps have a double bearing design, which makes it longer. This interferes with putting a fan on the engine, because there isn't have enough room between the engine and radiator.

Jose

Cactusmasher

Donation Time
I also have a spare timing cover and a used short water pump ( can be rebuilt ) for the 2.8. It is off of a 1974 engine. I used one just like it on my 1984 Ranger engine that is in my Alpine right now. I don't want to interfere in any arrangement you might have with Jim E. on his timing cover. If for some reason that deal falls through contact me and we can talk. By the way, thanks again for purchasing the wheels on Ebay from me last week. I appreciate your business.

Cactusmasher

Donation Time
2.8 parts

Forgot to mention regarding the water neck. Stock or factory water necks are aluminum, normally quite corroded and it is rare to find a good one, at least in Arizona. Ford does not stock or sell them as they are obsolete parts. NAPA Auto Parts doesn't have them in their books or their computers. The only way I got one for my engine was to order it from PAW Auto Parts in California, out of their catalog. It is an Offenhauser part. If I recall correctly, cost a couple of years ago was around $38. With shipping etc. the final cost was a few bucks over $50. I do not have an extra water neck, nor do I have any more stock pulleys for the V6. Good luck finding a wate neck.:cool:

Jim E

Donation Time
I also have a spare timing cover and a used short water pump ( can be rebuilt ) for the 2.8. It is off of a 1974 engine. I used one just like it on my 1984 Ranger engine that is in my Alpine right now. I don't want to interfere in any arrangement you might have with Jim E. on his timing cover. If for some reason that deal falls through contact me and we can talk. By the way, thanks again for purchasing the wheels on Ebay from me last week. I appreciate your business.

Not to worry am not crazy about selling the cover... the darn things are getting hard to find. Think I do know where there is a Capri..... guy wants $50 for the engine I just hate to go pull it in the field.

Alan F

Donation Time
Do you have to have a Capri timing cover for this water pump? Or will it work with the Mustang II cover as well.

Alan

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Do you have to have a Capri timing cover for this water pump? Or will it work with the Mustang II cover as well.

Alan
Alan,

The Capri has to be 1974 thru 1978, because the 1972 and 73 Capri, came with the 2.6 V6. The 1974 and later Capri and Mustang II V6 timing covers, are one and the same. The rest of the basic engine was the same too, except for the oil pan and oil pump pick up.

Jose :)