• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

2.8 tappets?

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
In pulling the heads and camshaft from my remanufactured 2.8 long block, I failed to place the tappets in the order they came out. I assume this is meant for someone disassembling an engine that's been running. Still, I noticed that three of the tappets have a groove that runs around the cylinder at the top, about 3/16 of an inch below the top, and the others have no groove. Does this mean anything?

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
In pulling the heads and camshaft from my remanufactured 2.8 long block, I failed to place the tappets in the order they came out. I assume this is meant for someone disassembling an engine that's been running. Still, I noticed that three of the tappets have a groove that runs around the cylinder at the top, about 3/16 of an inch below the top, and the others have no groove. Does this mean anything?

No. It only means that they came from different manufacturers. It shouldn't pose any problem. Does this engine have any miles on it? if it has been broken in, you'll need to have the lifters refaced, before putting them back in. If you plan on regrinding the cam and it's been run, you'll need to reface them.

If the engine has not been run, then you can put them back in as is.

Jose:)

V6 JOSE

Donation Time

No. It only means that they came from different manufacturers. It shouldn't pose any problem, but if they were mine, I'd get a full set of the ones with thegroove, because they will be lighter. If the engine has not been run, then you can put them back in as is.

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
OK. These look to be flat solids. Would you suggest replacing with a set of hydraulic lifters?

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
OK. These look to be flat solids. Would you suggest replacing with a set of hydraulic lifters?
No! These engines do not have the oil passages to the lifter bores in order to use hydraulic lifters. The solid lifters in this engine will make some noise, if you don't know how to adjust them. This engine is a bit tricky to adjust the valves so they don't make some noise. If you want further instructions on how to do this so they are quiet, drop me an e-mail and I will explain the procedure.