• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

2.8 Tappets

George Farrell

Donation Time
Guys,

I have a manual for the Mustang II 2.8 which explains the recommended procedure for adjusting the tappets. Since this should be done "hot", I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations that would speed the process so the engine doesn't get too cold.

Thanks

Georbge

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi George,

I know that the book says to adjust them hot, but it is almost impossible to do, without taking a hot oil bath, or getting oil all over everything. I adjust them cold and adjust them very snug. The trick is to turn the crank a little bit, after you´ve adjusted the valve, then adjust the valve again. It takes about three times of moving the crank and adjusting the valve again, before you finally get it done correctly.

As an example, I adjusted the valves on Bob Sharkey´s Alpine V6 about seven yuears ago, at the Invasion that year, and he just checked them a few months ago and only a couple of exhause valves had loosened a couple of thousanths. His car has performed flawlessly all those years and it has been totally quiet all that time. I know that common knowledge says that it is wrong to do them that way, but I have been adjusting the valves on mine and other´s V6s for over thirty years, with no ill effects.

I´m sure that if you choose to do it the way I suggest, you will be very happy with your engine´s quietness and power.

Jose

Guys,

I have a manual for the Mustang II 2.8 which explains the recommended procedure for adjusting the tappets. Since this should be done "hot", I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations that would speed the process so the engine doesn't get too cold.

Thanks

Georbge

George Farrell

Donation Time
Jose

Neat! Your way sounds like a lot more fun. Can you start a list of "tricks" you learned over the years of working with the 2.8 for the video conference we will have at the Invasion in Winona? Thanks for the info.

George