• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

2.8 stock Ignition Components

Fordtootsie

Donation Time
Duraspark

Thanks

I also checked out this site. It has some info but what I was looking for was a plot of RPM vs Degrees of Advance. I have not found any plot type info yet for the Duraspark system.

What I have now done was to take back all my Duraspark parts to Auto Zone and obtained a Mallory distributor - Part number 4760801 - and a set of Mallory springs - Part number 29014 - It cost me more $ but I now have a choise of 14 different RPM vs Degrees of Advance curves.

I used this Mallory set up on my T-Bird and it is working quite well.

John in Colorado

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi John,

When I built my first V6 Alpine, I also went with a Mallory dual point distributor. It worked fine and I was happy with it, until I had to change out the points. The diameter of the distributor was so small, that it was difficult doing it. I eventually started to remove the distributor, change out and adjust the points, then re install it and re time the engine. It was easier to go through all that fuss, than try t0 change the points insitu. It is the reason I eventually went with a stock Ford Duraspark ignition. No more fighting the points or having to replace the plugs every 8,000 miles.

Jose

Fordtootsie

Donation Time
Jose howdy

I also used an older duel point Mallory distributor for my 56 T-bird. I changed it to a Pertsronic's electrical system, but because the springs were hard to change out I gave up and purchased a newer Mallory that was already an electronic type. It is real easy to change the springs in these units.

The Duraspark system is a lot less expensive than the Mallory but I was not satisfied with the lack of information on changing the spark advance curve.

On my V6 conversation I am also using a Mallory so I can play with the spark advance curve.

All my playing may be for naught but it is fun to play

John in Colorado