• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

2.8 identification

T

turbinepete

Hi guys,

I think I have found a 2.8 engine and a transmission from a 1974 or 75 Mustang. I say I think because the salvage yard owner tells me it was removed from such a car. I have not seen it yet but are there clear markings to look for to identify the engine and the transmission?

Thanks

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi Turbinepete, I recently picked up a 2.8 and it had the year of production stamped on the block,front left. I had taken it to the machine shop as an 84 engine but they reported to me it was a 79 based upon the date stamp. Is this correct, anyone?

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Turbinepete, I recently picked up a 2.8 and it had the year of production stamped on the block,front left. I had taken it to the machine shop as an 84 engine but they reported to me it was a 79 based upon the date stamp. Is this correct, anyone?
The only number that I'm aware of that will denote an early engine, is the number on the front timing cover, which begins with the number 74. These engines were used from 1974 thru 1979, in some cases. The later engines have the timing cover number beginning with 83. I'm not aware of any stamped numbers that will identify the exact year the engine was made.

Jose :)

T

turbinepete

Thanks guys for all your info.

The engine is from a 76 mustang and is complete with the original transmission but...

It has been sitting for a long time, it is obviously seized and will need a lot of work to get back in shape.

The man is asking 250$ for it but I need your advice to know if it`s worth it or if I should just continue looking.

(the bell housing is good though)

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
I would say it is a good price, because you get all the right stuff with it. If it hasn't been bored before, you hit the jack pot. The only other parts you'd need, would be the oil pan, oil pump pick up, dip stick and oil filter adapter, from a Ranger/Bronco II.

Jose :)

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
If it's the one that was on ebay, from Wisconcin, the guy seemed a little on the iffy side. Just a feeling, nothing more.