• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1965 Series IV rare color?

A

Adiabatic

I just got a 1965 Alpine GT Series IV, from my wife's Grandfather. He purchased the car new in 1964. I looked up the paint code under the hood and found that it is called Autumn Gold Metallic (Colour code: 68). The website I found (link below) listed that as being only on Series III. Does anyone have any input on this? If this is a rare car, I don't want to hack it up with some non-original restoration.

http://www.team.net/www/rootes/sunbeam/alpine/mk1-5/paintcod.html

Thanks,

Andy

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Andy, it is a rare and pretty color. I like it and if it was mine, I'd stick with that color. But if you don't like it, change it. This crowd seems to hear about a hundred different drummers, so it will not cause a big stir.

The color will probably have little to do with the final value of the car unless you do an all out, $50,000 restoration. Then It might drop its value from say, $20,000 to $17,500. Unless you paint it red, then it may fetch $22,000.

Bill

A

Adiabatic

Does anyone have actual build volumes broken down by year, color, and model?

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Does anyone have actual build volumes broken down by year, color, and model?

I've often wondered about this too, along with the corollary breakdown for surviving Alpines, which may/may not track stats from the factory.

Great sounding car and I hope you enjoy it!

Allan

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I just got a 1965 Alpine GT Series IV...Autumn Gold Metallic (Colour code: 68).

That is very rare....You need to keep it the same color, it will be of great value in years to come.
(Plus, I have seen everyone stop what they are doing and watch a Series III, #68 Alpine drive in to the Invasion car show. It draws attention!)
Jan

A

Adiabatic

Here is a picture of the badge and the car. Let me know if anyone has any comments. I had to tow it from Texas up to Indiana, it was a long drive with 8 month pregnant wife and 2 dogs!

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Hey another IV GT WOW!

:D
What a find, welcome to the Alpine World! Does the car run or even start?
Yours is in great shape compared to my rust bucket left in a field for over 20 years. With time and money you will have a real treasure. A few of the restorations are more of improvements like a weber carburetor instead of what it may have on it currently. Having the radiator recored to three rows instead of two helps with overheating. This take some of the originality out but makes the car more dependable. Really depends on what you want to do with the car, have a all original concourse show car or a decent daily driver. A lot of this will depend again on money and time. You found the club that will help with all your questions :D

Donna

A

Adiabatic

It is already not a numbers matching car. My Grandfather replaced the original engine with a series V engine back in the 70's. I was planning on dropping in a more modern 4-cyl engine for more power and reliability, now I am not too sure. I am still trying to get a feel for how rare this particular car actually is and if I should keep it as original as possible. At this point the car doesn't start. It was last driven in 1983.

Andy

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Andy, keep in mind it is possible to rebuild the 1725 with different rods, pistons and cam, modify the head, make some mods to use a better crank seal and use a different carb setup. This will make a smoother running, "revier" engine with improved horsepower and reliability. It will cost less than an engine swap, which are usually very difficult unless you go the Ford 2.8 V6 route.

Come to the Invasion and check out Jim Stone's Alpine. He built his engine this way and loves it.

Bill

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
You have to make the Invasion!

:cool:
Since the motor is already swapped out that ruins the concourse perfect restored to original concept. I would go with a good daily driver, and you have several options. Since your so close to the Alpine active club members or Alpine World way up North in Indiana you need to come and meet your new best friends at the Invasion, Andy :D
Those of us way down here in the Bible belt, Oklahoma have very limited sources for parts and experienced mechanics. Why this website is the most valuable thing since sliced bread! Let's see if I can put into perspective of how rare of a car you now own. GM made over 300,000.00 Chevrolet Impala's last year. I have a Saturn Sky Redline 1 of 4,000 2007 models manufactured for a first year car. Bowling Greens, KY Corvette plant manufactured approx. 34,000 Vettes last year.
The built production for the Rootes Company for my Alpine the week of 6/15-6/19 1964 was 139 manufactured. Now out of that 139 made how many were shipped to America? How many are still in one piece? How many were GT's not ST's? Just to take a guess you may have 1 of 20 1964 Series IV GT Sunbeam Alpine here in America that is still drivable and will be put back on the road. Now compare that to a 1964 Mustang, thousands that have been restored.

Donna

A

AlpineIan

It's unusual to find something like this, but it did happen. I have also seen the S3 metallic paints on later SII cars. You should keep it Autumn Gold. Great looking color.

am99ey

Gold Level Sponsor
In my opinion, keep it original, even if the engine is not original. The way back to the original condition will be almost impossible after a few years. I am glad to have done the original path, after owning my SV '66 since 1977.
Daily drivers or experimenting object you can buy anywhere for little money, for sure they are gone after a few years of usage to where they came from. Your Alpine won't ..!

Andy

PS: ... I am tracking the footsteps of a SIV '65, original condition, red colour, in barn since 79. All is there, just full of cobwebs.

Mark B

Donation Time
Great colour. Nice looking car. SIVs are my favorite. If you keep the colour and have a nice daily driver, it would certainly stand out in a crowd. As much as I love the reds & blacks, it always seems there are so many. Part of the reason I went with Code 67, was to have more of the unusual colours around.

Mark B