• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1965 Bristol

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
Rootes purchased their lights from Lucas, who made a lot of lights that are similar if not identical - Alpine - Minx - TR4, etc. Rootes & Bristol were both large WWII era defense contractors that surely crossed paths on occasion, but I have not read of any financial ties between the two. I am not familiar enough with the Bristol to say if the taillights are identical or just similar.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Ok.. to add some history.. Bristol like Aston Martin and other bespoke high-end cars would often purchase switchgear, elec components and window handles accessories etc from the various British suppliers rather than invest in bespoke components.

The tail lights and housing on the 400 series Bristol's used lucas lamps made for Rootes ... Note that Rootes to save money switched away from the bespoke alpine series I-3 rear lamps to the same units they used on all their minx, husky, sceptre, superminx, vogue, gazelle, alpine, rapier .. the same lamps are used on Turner sports cars as well. Small mfg would just purchase the parts

The 70s v8 astons used the hillman hunter tail light units...

This 'parts bin" raiding is still comon today....