• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1964 SUNBEAM BRAKES - MASTER CYL

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
Wanting to change my alger brake system to a DUAL MASTER CYLINDER. What Master Cyl (year/make/model)can I use that will be "user friendly" as in bolting to the firewall and pedal ?? Thank you

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I used a 1975 B1600 Mazda pickup M/C. It works great with my Miata motor, not sure if it will clear your motor.
RIMG0582-XL.jpg

0neoffive

Donation Time
Wanting to change my alger brake system to a DUAL MASTER CYLINDER. What Master Cyl (year/make/model)can I use that will be "user friendly" as in bolting to the firewall and pedal ?? Thank you
Ford Courier or 80;s Subaru Bratt units work fine.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Ford Courier or 80;s Subaru Bratt units work fine.

Using a 13/16" tandem MC for a Subaru Brat or a 7/8" tandem MC for a Ford Courier will result in high brake pedal effort.

There is a reason that Series Alpines without a brake booster used either a 0.700" (Series I & II) or a 0.750" master cylinder (Series 3/IV/V).

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
as you can see, the stock MC is bolted to the firewall with 1 bolt on top, the other on the bottom. everything I'm looking at has the mounting bolts 1 on Each SIDE ! OK, NOW i SEE THAT THE COURIER IS 1 TOP, 1 BOTTOM

Last edited:

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
The 1975 B1600 Mazda pickup M/C I used is a .75 bore. And is also the same M/C that the same year Ford Courier uses.

Last edited:

Robertm

Gold Level Sponsor
I just got my series v Alpine running after about 5 years of not. The brakes are not very responsive to say the least. Pedal is rock hard. I'm thinking about buying a series one or two master cylinder and swapping with mine to hopefully improve brake feel. Does anyone know if they mount without any modifications?

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
I just got my series v Alpine running after about 5 years of not. The brakes are not very responsive to say the least. Pedal is rock hard. I'm thinking about buying a series one or two master cylinder and swapping with mine to hopefully improve brake feel. Does anyone know if they mount without any modifications?

As Todd noted, there is no difference in the mountings.

Compared to modern cars, Series Alpines (even those with brake boosters) require a lot of brake pedal effort. Your S-V left the factory with a 7/8" (0.875") brake master cylinder and a Girling vacuum-operated hydraulic brake booster (aka, servo). Not having the booster more or less doubles the required brake pedal effort.

Changing from a 0.875" to a 0.700" brake master cylinder will reduce the required brake pedal effort (and increase the required brake pedal travel) by about one-third.

Replacing the missing brake servo will reduce the required brake pedal effort by about one-half without increasing the required brake pedal travel.

There is not much difference between the cost of an aftermarket brake booster and the cost of an S-I/II master cylinder, so ...

Last edited:

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
FYI, I personally think there is too much travel for a .70 without a booster. I switched to .75 from Wilwood. I needed the shorter MC to fit between the firewall and the Webers. I like the feel much better.

Robertm

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks for the info. I actually already bought the .70 master cylinder from sunbeam specialties, but , of course I already stripped the nut attaching the break line to the master cylinder. That stopped me until I bought some vice grips and now I’m finally fighting to reattach everything. This is typical of how my projects go. Hopefully tomorrow I’ll be able to see if it all works.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
You MUST use flair nut wrenches on flair nuts (which the brake line nuts are) and the bleeder valves!!!! But, I guess you know that now.

(Box wrenches also work on bleeder valves - but not the open flat ends)

Last edited:

Robertm

Gold Level Sponsor
The new mc is definitely an improvement but now I’m trying to figure out why it pulls to the right. I think it’s largely an alignment problem that I just noticed now that Im able to drive the car. Seems to pull slightly without braking and really pulls under breaking.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Did you change out the hoses? My guess is, the way it is pulling, that caliper is sticking or the other side isn't working at all.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Might be a rear brake issue,. One side not adjusted properly or oil contamination due to leaking seal.

Just a thought,

Robertm

Gold Level Sponsor
I did not replace the hoses. is there a way to check the caliper to see if it’s sticking? i noticed the right inside brake pad is much more worn than the others. Is that indicative of a sticking piston?
I have not checked the rear drums, but I will. If the seals are leaking, does that show up inside the drums?

Thanks for the help.