• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1962 Series II - Random Questions

Bronze Level Sponsor
Random Questions for the group please....
- Are the threads able to be cleaned with SAE Tap & Dye sets? I believe the thread pitches are what I am used to on my big old American made cars; yea? Before I start cleaning out thread holes in the block; wanted to confirm.
- The Harmonic Balancer / Damper - I am used to my Chrysler big block ones...where I send them off to https://www.damperdudes.net/ for them to replace the rubber material that is vulcanized into the damper. Is the Sunbeam Alpine damper also in need of rebuilding? Or do I just reuse mine, with no concern? Or is it easiest to buy a reproduction damper?
- Hylomar Blue seems to be a recommended sealant to use on the oil pan, tappet cover. It is recommended for ALL other gaskets in the build as well? Like the water pump, fuel pump, etc.? I usually use Permatex Ultra Black on my domestic motors.
- Gasket Preference - I am planning to order from either Alpine Innovations or New Forest Gaskets. They both seem to offer better than stock gaskets for the oil pan, tappet cover, rocker cover; right? Any preference? I need gaskets for the full motor, yet think it best to use the fancier ones for those common oil leak areas.
- The Camshaft Retaining Plate - I need to order up a new one, as mine is broken in half. How do I determine if I should order the stock one or the .004" oversize one?

Thank you all very much!

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
It your original harmonic balancer is in decent condition and the keyway is not worn I would keep it. The remanufactured ones have a habit of exploding and causing a lot of damage.
Tim R

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
Re cam retaining plate, why not purchase both, standard and oversize. Follow reassembly as per workshop manual, using whichever suiits.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Based on recommendations from others, I used Hylomar blue for the water pump, water outlet connection, and thermostat housing in 2019. All good so far.

Mike

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
While I am not a expert on Stock Alpine bodies, I do not recall ever seeing any UNC threads. UNF all the way. As I recall, the threads on the 1/4" bolts holding the seats to the floor are Whitworth, but work just fine if you "clean" them up with a UNF tap.
Bill

Bronze Level Sponsor
Any thoughts on this....?
- Gasket Preference - I am planning to order from either Alpine Innovations or New Forest Gaskets. They both seem to offer better than stock gaskets for the oil pan, tappet cover, rocker cover; right? Any preference? I need gaskets for the full motor, yet think it best to use the fancier ones for those common oil leak areas.

alpine_64

Donation Time
It your original harmonic balancer is in decent condition and the keyway is not worn I would keep it. The remanufactured ones have a habit of exploding and causing a lot of damage.
Tim R
Tim where were these coming from.. ?
Do you mean remanufactured as in rebuilt
Or new reproduction?

The ones American BJD ones were ok

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Did you mean BHJ? I just bought one - way more expensive than I thought it should be, but looks like very nice quality and made in U.S.A. I sure hope it lasts a long time.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Did you mean BHJ? I just bought one - way more expensive than I thought it should be, but looks like very nice quality and made in U.S.A. I sure hope it lasts a long time.
Yup ..typo....

Which did you buy.. standard or one of the various lightweight ones.. one with the seal ?

I've not had of issues with the BHJ and know people using the lightweight race ones and the ones compatible with the timing covers with seals.

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
I got the original style replacement. Didn't feel like tearing the engine down enough to replace the timing cover with the Chevy seal.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Alpine_64 I was talking about brand new harmonic balancers. I've not heard of BHJ but my guess is that if it is made in the U.S. it will be good quality. We purchased a new harmonic balancer and it exploded at speed and destroyed the radiator, timing cover and alternator. Subsequently we found out that we were not the only people who had suffered this. We then fitted a brand new solid pulley. The car ran fine with no apparent differences. I was then able to locate a good second hand balancer and fitted that.
Tim R

alpine_64

Donation Time
Alpine_64 I was talking about brand new harmonic balancers. I've not heard of BHJ but my guess is that if it is made in the U.S. it will be good quality. We purchased a new harmonic balancer and it exploded at speed and destroyed the radiator, timing cover and alternator. Subsequently we found out that we were not the only people who had suffered this. We then fitted a brand new solid pulley. The car ran fine with no apparent differences. I was then able to locate a good second hand balancer and fitted that.
Tim R
So Tim were these balancers you and other UK owners had fail from the Netherlands?

mxp01

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have had my BHL balancer going on 10 years now. I bought the original style and it looks the same as it did 10 years ago. last year a bought the timing cover with the seal in it from AI and also had them send me the sleeve that goes over the reverse groove on the balancer. All it went together just fine.

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
While I am not a expert on Stock Alpine bodies, I do not recall ever seeing any UNC threads. UNF all the way. As I recall, the threads on the 1/4" bolts holding the seats to the floor are Whitworth, but work just fine if you "clean" them up with a UNF tap.
Bill
If you have a British MC shop near you you can find whitworth bolts older Brit car places also can supply!