• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1962 - Series II - Engine ID

Bronze Level Sponsor
Trying to determine what year I have in this car.
My overall ID # B9108805 - Made the week of Nov. 13 to 17 in 1961.

There are 2 numbers I have seen on the block:
- Drivers side at side, base of the block #1980707 30.8.61
- Passenger side behind the fuel pump #8910L

Thanks for any help!

alpine_64

Donation Time
You seem to have a replacement block.. do you have a photo of it .. where does the oil dip stick go...sump or direct to the block? ... The numbers you give aren't sunbeam numbers... But doesn't mean not a replacement rootes block

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
M&J,

30.8.61 is the date the block was cast - August 30, 1961.

Are there any numbers stamped into the machined surface just to the front of the oil filter mount?

If the numbers stamped there match your car's VIN#, then you probably have the original engine.

Hope this helps,

Bronze Level Sponsor
The Oil Dipstick goes straight into the Oil Sump Pan.
I just cleaned off the machined surface in front of the Oil Filter....
The numbers match the Body Serial Number!
Its the matching block to the car; which I am shocked at!
I shall now be certain to rebuild this block versus finding another; ha!
Thanks!

alpine_64

Donation Time
The numbers match the Body Serial Number!
Its the matching block to the car; which I am shocked at!
I shall now be certain to rebuild this block versus finding another; ha!
Thanks!
There you go . So you just hadn't seen the serial num just the casting numbers... Great to having a matching block.

The motor will be a 1592.

Bronze Level Sponsor
Yea...I've only ever worked on domestic cars; so everything is unfamiliar to me on this Alpine. Today I shall attempt to remove the driveshaft & the factory headers that are stuck down at the Y-Pipe. Then I can pull the engine out!
Thanks!

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
Get yourself a work shop manual and read it, these are weird little engines that have some things going on that American engines don't. They're simple, but different.