• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1959 Rapier electrical harness

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks for the history, I didn't know about that legislation.

Paul,

I have to apologize on my history lesson - seems I misstated a bit after checking around. Sorry.

I was under the "confusion" the legislation that specified the "P-R-N-D-*" pattern for auto transmissions came about in 1964, was more far reaching in scope, and was related to when seat belts were first being installed in new vehicles. It was actually not codified till 1971. The seat belt installations were all state requirements until the 1968 MV Safety Standards went into effect requiring three point belts.

The Chrysler push-button auto was dropped in 1965 because new management wanted something different.

So with all that, it seems the Rootes column shifter fell to the wayside most likely due to economic reasons rather than legislative ones..

Sorry about the misinformation,