• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1936 Pontiac Assembly Line

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
A fascinating combination of automation and manual assembly. I wonder if this really is a Pontiac, (don't know squat about GM bodies), but I'm pretty sure Pontiacs used inline flatheads. That engine was definitely OHV.

Bill

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Amazing. First thing I noticed was the lack or OSHA precautions and how many workers did one small assignment....all freaking day long...

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Amazing. First thing I noticed was the lack or OSHA precautions and how many workers did one small assignment....all freaking day long...
Now you know why they made "big money" and still tended to be anxious to find another job!

Nickodell

Donation Time
Notice the big press with no safety guards. And can you imagine working like the one guy, whose job appeared to be to hit each chassis with a hammer for some reason, and the other one who simply dropped rivets into holes. Of course, during the Depression they would be happy to have any job at all, no matter how tedious and repetitive.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
But, did you also notice on the presses that all operators had to press 2 buttons for it to operate.

Also the hammer could have been a "sounding" to check for loose rivets or knock out an alighnment pin.