• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1725 rebuild, cam bearing question

robertf

Donation Time
I got my .020 over block back from the machine shop last week and I see only 1 oil passage in the rear cam bearing but a space for 2.

Is this correct?

mikephillips

Donation Time
I'm going by memory as I don't have my shop manual with me. Check the center bearing, if it has 2 hole lining up with holes to feed from the bottom and the feed to the rockers, then you're ok. It's the only one that the block has 2 holes. In fact, if all three cam bearings have 2 in them, don't worry.

robertf

Donation Time
I think the front 2 cam bearings had both oil passages. I need to bolt it to the stand and then I'll get some pictures up later today.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
There are 3 bearings, only the middle bearing has 2 oil holes, the front and rear only have one.

The middle one uses the camshaft journal as a port to allow a metered amount of oil to go to the top end via the oil tube in the head. The middle therefore needs BOTH oil holes aligned to the bearing.

The others need only one oil hole alligned.

mikephillips

Donation Time
Been long enough I didn't remember if all three shells had 2 holes or just one did. As pointed out, only the center bearing mount of the block has 2 holes, the front and rear mounting points have one. As long as they're uncovered, should be ready to go once sized to the cam.

robertf

Donation Time
well since we're on the subject of cams

the old camshaft has been laying on the floor of the garage for a year and a half.

I could have it sent to comp and reground from their master, but I'm unaware of my other options. What would you all do? It's .020 over, and I might do the vizard mod, everything else will be stock, dual strombergs