• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1725 engine

DavidHodges11

Donation Time
Wound up with this a few months back and took time to start on the ground ar i was resealing my engine and had it apart bolted my intake and coil on and it started did not knock. i think it would would run fine.

David tabler

Donation Time
Do You have a good running engine for sell? if so where is it? I tried starting my car and oil sprayed all over the Left side most on the inside fender and some on the starter ANY idea where this oil came from?? I havent a clue also the two rear spark plugs are loading up on fuel? the clyinders seem to have compression ?? Any Ideas ?? thank you

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
David,
Can you outline how your crankcase is ventilated? PCV valve, tube-to-open-air, etc.?

Have you ever removed and replaced the oil pan during your ownership?

Any oil traces near the fill cap on the valve cover?

(Looks like David is in Oklahoma City...)

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Do You have a good running engine for sell? if so where is it? I tried starting my car and oil sprayed all over the Left side most on the inside fender and some on the starter ANY idea where this oil came from?? I havent a clue also the two rear spark plugs are loading up on fuel? the clyinders seem to have compression ?? Any Ideas ?? thank you

If you're running Strombergs it could be that the fuel inlet needle valve is worn on the rear carb, allowing those two to load up. You may be able to see the excess fuel spraying/flowing with the air cleaners off.

Lots of oil spraying on the left side of the engine compartment, not the usual right side? If it's a Series V, check the oil cooler hose where it passes thru the horn hole. There was an old service bulletin about preventing chafing/failure of the hose by installing a bracket. Or it's possible the fan is blowing it that direction, in which case I'd check if your lower pulley is cracked and/or coming loose and has elongated the hole in the front cover. Or it could just be a completely failed pan gasket or seal.

I suggest taking it to the car wash and blasting the underside of everything you can reach. Makes it a lot easier to tell a fresh leak from ancient, greasy seepage.

David tabler

Donation Time

thank you for helping me I found out problems[i hope] throttle shaft connects both carbs[butterfly] that one screw was loose so one open one not so open] that and forgot to replace long jet , spring, small jet screw in to bottom[float chamber?] Do you know how/where i can get a diagram on how these parts go together jet , spring,washer, short jet, washer. etc,????? . does Anyone know what [on left side of engine]the metal line out of the engine almost looks to me as a oil line runs under the alternator has a shut off/on valve ??? to drain coolant,oil ? what the heck????? Thank you also the engine has a pvc valve which i will replace Thanks againl

Gary T

Gold Level Sponsor
That metal tube with the valve is the coolant drain for the block. It is located there, since it is very hard to get to the block below the exhaust manifold.

dennis talbert

Donation Time
David,
Can you outline how your crankcase is ventilated? PCV valve, tube-to-open-air, etc.?

Have you ever removed and replaced the oil pan during your ownership?

Any oil traces near the fill cap on the valve cover?

(Looks like David is in Oklahoma City...)
Say, I've got the same problem. A local mechanic says he thinks a piston ring is broken. Could this be the problem?

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Well, if the crankcase is getting pressurized, the oil will come out the first available orfice. To wet the left side, pcv valve or a "burping" oil filler cap would be the first places to look. CD150s? Then the rubber pipe to the air cleaner should be inspected for cracks.

dennis talbert

Donation Time
I don't understand why a rubber hose to my air cleaner on my carbs would cause oil to come out of my oil filler cap, or were you responding to another question. A local mechanic seem to think I have a cracked ring that is pressurizing my oil pan.
dennis

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
If the crankcase is pressurized, then two of the many possible places it could leak is either from the filler cap, or, in the case of CD150s, the hose that goes from that filler cap stem, thru the flame supressor, and on to the carb air filters. If the pressure builds higher than the engine vacuum before the pressure vents, it could come out of the cap, or any cracks in the hose.

But, as mentioned by others, there are a lot more places to leak oil on the right (and the bottom, front, and back) than there are on the left.y

And you could also have a cracked ring. But I believe the pressurization can travel up from the oil pan, alongside the lifters, to the valve cover. There is usually a vent on the side of the engine behind the distributor, but there's some variation there.

DavidHodges11

Donation Time
Engine

I am in okc I have only had it running 1 time. and only then because I had all my stuff off my engine doing some stuff to the engine bay. I will say I got no knocks out of it and after running it a few short burst the compression is 165 across I think if it was ran more it would come up to 170 ish. :D I did not see any blow bye and plugs were nice when I pulled them. I was told the alpine it came from was a parts car.