• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

15 X 5.5 Minilites

Barrythebrit

Donation Time
Previous owner installed a brand new set of 15 x 5.5 minilites with 185/55R15's.
The tyres are rubbing occasionally, mainly on the rear arches.
Other than replace the wheels/tyres (which look fantastic!) is there anything else I can do.
My rear shocks are due for replacement, would fitting a set of adjustable shocks help help eliminate the rubbing?

bashby

Donation Time
You can roll or trim the lips on the inside of the rear fenders or,you can change the width of the rear axle. Changing the shocks might stiffen the suspension but, would not eliminate the rubbing.
If it only occasionally rubs I would try trimming (1/8"-1/4") off the rear fender lips first.
-Bill

Last edited:

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
rubbing

we cut the pinch weld completely off in the rear and tacked the inner fender to what was left, not for everybody to do , but if your doing body work------- be aware the pinch weld is double thickness if you goint to try and roll as Bill
said trim it,

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
I don´t recommend cutting out the pinch welded section. I take a pair of gise grips and bend it up. You only need to bend up a section about 10" long, across the top of the arch. If you cut the inner lip wihout doing what PROCRAFT did, you run the risk of the tire getting cut by what´s left under hard cornering. If you bend up the lip, all that would happen if it did rub, is that the inner fender well would get a tire mark. I have never had a problem with tires rubbing after just bending up the inner lip, ans I ran 195/50 15s on a 7.5" wide rim.

Jose

p.s. It is also a lot easier to bend it up than cutting it.

Barrythebrit

Donation Time
Many thanks, Bashby, Procraft and Jose.
As I am not currently doing any body work / re-spray I think that I will attempt the Gise Grips approach and see how I get on. I will post the result... but it may be a few weeks as I need to bring her out of hibernation.... after a very long Irish winter!