• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

100LL AV Gas

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
No issues with race gas… if it’s used on a track. But as soon as you use it on public roads, if it’s not been taxed when sold it’s considered tax evasion.
Hilarious just like a sermon about paying Caesar his due.
You could probably find a fuel dock where you're paying less taxes but they always gouge the yachties ..

Pete S.

Bronze Level Sponsor
There is a standard lab test (D-5059) for detecting the presence of tetra-ethyl lead in gasoline.

By charging you with illegally using leaded and / or non-taxed fuel in a road vehicle. Not likely, but certainly possible.

Possible? Perhaps. But what is the probable cause for any Police officer even bother to smell your tailpipe? Any defense attorney will ask if the police officer that caught you with contraband gasoline has been is trained and certified to smell gasoline (professional sniffer, not recreational)

Then could they prove to a judge that you knowingly put non-taxed fuel in your tank? "Gee your Honor, I have no idea what kind of gasoline is in my tank other than I filled up at the Sunoco on main street" would be a typical defense.

I think you have a far greater chance of getting abducted by aliens than getting caught using un-taxed gasoline.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
It is actually fairly common in rural agricultural areas for farmers to use untaxed diesel fuel in their road vehicles and occasionally one gets caught. Ag diesel does not have road tax collected and is dyed red. Not the same as av gas, but similar and likely more wide spread.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Using road taxed fuel?

I imagine most everyone who has a lawn and mowing equipment uses road taxed fuel.

After checking the NC Dept. of Revenue site, I'm thinking there is not a way to get a refund of road use taxes on fuel used to mow or other small engine usage.

Further, I'm guessing most, with suburban or more rural property, have at least part of their lawn encroaching onto the right of way their adjacent public road and are maintaining that right of way at personal expense with out any compensation.

Might be grounds for a possible counter suit if backed into a corner.

THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE - just an observation. Different states are different.

Have fun,

Last edited:

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Possible? Perhaps. But what is the probable cause for any Police officer even bother to smell your tailpipe? Any defense attorney will ask if the police officer that caught you with contraband gasoline has been is trained and certified to smell gasoline (professional sniffer, not recreational)

Then could they prove to a judge that you knowingly put non-taxed fuel in your tank? "Gee your Honor, I have no idea what kind of gasoline is in my tank other than I filled up at the Sunoco on main street" would be a typical defense.

I think you have a far greater chance of getting abducted by aliens than getting caught using un-taxed gasoline.

Pete,

You asked "how" and I answered. "If" is a different discussion.

Pete S.

Bronze Level Sponsor
Pete,

You asked "how" and I answered. "If" is a different discussion.

Barry, it's not a major concern for me or the supplier where I buy fuel for my Norton Commando. Probably not for over over-extended police department either. Far easier to prove and more beneficial to the local community to ticket speeders.

Best wishes.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I've been thinking about this concept of ordering gas from Sunoco. We used to do it all the time for our racing karts. As all new cars in California are to be electric in a decade (putting aside whether that is feasible or beneficial), at some point, it may be that we have to buy gas in cans for our classic cars. Or the cost of gas at the pump will be so high, that it's the same price to order race gas (oh, maybe that's already today!). Sure, it's going to be a very long time before the new electric cars replace the millions of used gas cars, and certainly California is not going to want to prevent interstate commerce and travelers to be able to fill their cars. So maybe not in our life time. But I do think about it.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Indiana is in the business of enforcing the ag Diesel tax thing. Get caught with colored fuel in your pickup, the rig is placed on a hoist and all fuel drained. The penalty - $1,000/gallon drained. Guaranteed to get your attention. Would not be amazed if they have a similar program for Av gas.

Bill

weaselkeeper

Silver Level Sponsor
Well, I’ve been watching this thread from the sidelines and should probably stay there, but Oh Well. So, in the name of TMI….

I won’t critique anyone who wants to go thru the trouble of getting 100LL in their car tank. Their business, not mine. BUT, there are other octane additives out there designed for autos.

I’m a serial consumer of 100LL in airplanes and helicopters and even gliders (tow plane burns it) so I realize that its transportations leading contributor to lead emissions in the atmosphere. Not good. Thusly, 100LL has been on the hit list to eliminate for 20 years or more. That effort has gained traction in the past couple years. Several aviation organizations have teamed up to try to lead the development of a replacement fuel that all piston aircraft can use without expensive modifications to aircraft but solutions are extremely complicated and expensive for a relatively low market share of fuel. The goal is a replacement fuel by 2030. Many low power (less than 200 hp) airplane engines have been approved to use unleaded non-ethanol MOGAS thru a supplemental type certificate. High hp engines, no good solutions exist…yet. Like all fuels, 100LL prices are out of control, sometimes north of $7 a gal. My Cessna 182 sips 12.1 gals per hour in cruise. I don’t do the math anymore. A friend’s DH-2 Beaver burns 25-28 GPH. Ouch!

Detonation (different than preignition) in aircraft is a real threat that can quickly reduce an engine to ruin and unlike your car, you can’t hear it (pinging/knocking) because of ambient noise. Hopefully, you can find a suitable airport or landing area before it comes apart. If youre paying attention to cylinder head temp, you may recognize it in time. Reciprocating engine airplanes spend most of a flight running at 65% and higher of rated max horsepower, helicopters even higher percentage of rated horsepower for nearly the entire flight. We don’t do that to a streetcar day after day after day.

Here's some great pics of detonation/preignition damage.

https://www.faasafety.gov/files/notices/2019/Jul/Preignition.pdf

If you want to know more about 100LL, here’s a link.

https://www.aviationpros.com/engine...ne-first-meeting-seek-solution-to-leaded-fuel