• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

10 pioneering cars that revolutionized the automotive art

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I'm really surprised they did not include the 1986 Taurus. It totally changed the standard for popularly priced family sedans.

Bill

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Well Pooh on this report!

:D My Saturn Sky Redline is the 2007 new millennium head turner, sexy hottest car on the road, and our GM motors killed it just as the craze took off. Did you notice as usual most of the cars were imports, does it not burn any one else that America can make a few good vehicles, yet most articles seem to highlight the imports! Sorry but that Toyota Prius is the ugliest and worst excuse for a CAR. 2008 Tesla Roadster like most of us could afford such a car!

Donna
:D

Nickodell

Donation Time
One of the top auto magazines - Car & Driver or some similar one - did a similar list of the cars that had the most influence on automobile development, and like the list here, totally ignored the one car that has had more influence on auto design over the past 50 years than any other - the Austin/Morris/BMC Mini.

If you're old enough to remember, until the Mini debuted half a century ago virtually every car made worldwide had the engine oriented fore-and-aft, driving the rear wheels. Alec Issigonis (Sp.) thought this dumb, and turned the engine sideways, driving the front wheels, and putting the tranny under it, sharing the same oil. "You can't do that!" screamed the experts. "Gearboxes need special oil."

"Gee," said Alex, "I didn't know that," and his little buzz-boxes went on to win such odds and ends as the Monte Carlo Rally (many times) and production car races against much larger and more powerful ones.

And that is essentially how 95% of modern mass-produced cars evolved - East/West engine, FWD. I guess the Mini isn't included because it was not German, Japanese or American.

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Different?

Lets look at the cars that were truly different, Studebaker, DeLorean no mention of those, why of course they were American Cars. If its not Japanese it can't be something we American's wanted!

Donna
:D