• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. A

SII crank stud

Hey friends, sorry I haven't posted in a while, thanks in advance for any advice... I have a question about the crank in my Series II. The crank pulley was all messed up, so I pulled it off, and when I went to put the new pulley on to the crank, I saw that the nut that holds the pulley to...
  2. A

Electric fuel pumps

Hey everyone, For the nearly three years I've been driving my Alpine, I've been running the aftermarket electric fuel pump that came with it. It's a Walbro-Dupree "thumper" bellows pump, which has a certain old-fashioned charm but seems to need some sort of repair every month or so. I'm...
  3. A

Hot Rod 1600s?

Hey everyone, Does anybody bother building high-performance 1592cc Alpine motors, or do you all tend to chuck them in favor of the 1725 if you're going for more power? Is there really that big of a difference, anyway? I realize that there's no substitute for cubic inches, but the 1725...
  4. A

Dyno testing

Hey everyone! I'm taking my Alpine for a dynamometer test tomorrow. Well, really, I'm taking the Alpine in order to participate at a barbecue at a friend's race shop, which is tied in to a race series where I work. I figured a dyno pull would be fun, and perhaps help me get the car running...
  5. A

Instant Rally Team? Sounds Good to Me!

http://bringatrailer.com/2009/09/29/instant-rally-team-two-nz-sunbeam-rapiers/ I want them both, one set up for street driving and road rallies and one built as an all-out Porsche-and-Cortina-eating vintage racer. And then I want a Humber Super Snipe to tow the race car.
  6. A

Another clutch question

Hey everyone, I'm starting to get a bit worried about the clutch on my Series II. It requires very little pressure before it releases-- in fact, you only have to move the clutch pedal about half an inch or so before it disengages. Is this an issue with the way it's adjusted, or do I just...
  7. A

The Mother Lode

My friends at Bringatrailer.com have found a massive stash of vehicles in Wisconsin which includes a whole bunch of Rootes Group products, including at least one SV Alpine. Of course, they're in Wisconsin, so there's going to be an awful lot of rust on the cars that have been stored outside...
  8. A

Generator versus alternator

Yes, folks, it's another thread on converting the Alpine to an alternator. There's a lot of information on the forum about this; so much, in fact, that it's pretty confusing. Anyway... On Friday evening I was on the starting line for a road rally when an unpleasant noise started coming from...
  9. A

2009 Snowball Rally Report

I had planned to spend part of this morning telling you all what a great time I had on the Snowball Rally and how well my '62 Alpine performed. I had a great time, but the Alpine, well... I've been doing a lot of work on the good old Alpine lately. I redid the rear axle with new seals and...
  10. A

Rear end rebuild

Hey everyone, Since the rear end in my Alpine (a '62 SII) has been slowly but surely dribbling oil out onto the right rear wheel, I recently bought a set of seals and gaskets to get everything cleaned up. The rear end hasn't been leaking so much that it's ever run low on oil, and it doesn't...
  11. A

Series II Rapier on Ebay

Here's a nice little Rapier for sale on Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Sunbeam-Rapier-2-door-Made-in-England_W0QQitemZ260344226489QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item260344226489&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A64|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318 Based on the...
  12. A

Engine rebuild questions

Hey everyone, As some of you might recall, my Alpine (with a 1592cc engine) had a problem with low oil pressure. I got the pressure relief valve fixed, but it turned out that the real problem was that the motor didn't have enough oil-- even with the dipstick reading "full" the pump will...
  13. A

'65 Sunbeam Venezia on Bring a Trailer

Bringatrailer.com has a very cool Sunbeam posted today: http://bringatrailer.com/2008/11/22/the-sunbeam-youve-never-seen-1965-venezia/ Of course, we Rootes aficionados are familiar with this lovely car; it's only "the Sunbeam you've never seen" for the unwashed rabble. Right? ;)
  14. A

Oil Pressure Worries

As I've said in previous panicked please-advise-me-before-I-blow-up-the-car threads, I've had some problems with the lubrication system in my engine. Suffice it to say that I ran it without enough oil pressure for a little while, and that since then my blood pressure has been raised to...
  15. A

Exhaust mounting questions

When I got home from work today, I found that the Big Brown Truck had dropped off the lovely three-piece stainless exhaust system I recently purchased from Sunbeam Specialties. I cannot describe how satisfying it was to take my father's new 11-amp reciprocating saw to the old, cobbled-together...
  16. A

Engine Building Manuals

Can anyone recommend any books on building and power tuning engines? I'm looking for something that goes in depth about every step of the process. Any suggestions are much appreciated! Thanks in advance, Armand
  17. A

Wine Country Classic

All right, so who's planning on going to the Wine Country Classic vintage races on May 31st and June 1st at Infineon (Sears Point) Raceway? The racing is always fun, and the event attracts some pretty cool iron of all types and sizes. Last year I got to see the Hollywood Sports Cars Tiger...
  18. A

Oil Pressure Relief Valve-- the Saga Continues

All right, so some of you know from my previous posts that I've been having trouble with an intermittent loss of oil pressure in my stock 1592cc motor. I followed the advice I got on the forum, and fixed the problem by cleaning my oil pressure relief valve in solvent (B-12 Chemtool carburetor...
  19. A

What's this?

I found this on Ebay. It looks like an adapter to allow you to put a DCOE or similar sidedraft on a manifold for a two-barrel downdraft. Has anyone seen these before? It looks pretty cool, but I wonder whether there would actually be any improvement in performance. Also, it appears that one...
  20. A

Oil Pressure Relief Valve

Hey everyone, I'm having problems with an intermittent loss of oil pressure, and I think my pressure relief valve is the culprit. Does anyone have a working valve they'd be willing to sell me? My car has the Series V oil filter base with a modern disposable filter and an oil cooler. If...