• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. R

Rootes collection for sale..

AS OF 8/1, ALL OF THE VEHICLES ARE SOLD. IF THAT CHANGES I'LL EDIT THIS AGAIN. THANK YOU EVERYBODY FOR YOUR INTEREST!!! I've decided that if I ever want to get out of Nebraska, I have to lighten my load. And considering that load includes 30-odd years of Rootes stuff, I figure some of you...
  2. R

More performance for Alpine Fastback?

And yes, Tiger Tom fitted rack & pinion steering to his RotoRooter. When I last drove it, it had a Mini rack with 2 turns lock to lock. Talk about responsive steering!
  3. R

Or you could do what I've been thinking about for my wagon. The Talbot Sunbeam Lotus used a 2.2 liter Lotus engine, good enough in works trim to win the 1981 World Rally Championship. That same basic engine was also used in the Jensen Healey. The Jensen Healey happened to use a Rapier...
  4. R

Where to find replacement seals for Alpine Fastback

BTW, I have quite a few spare parts off a parted fastback - doors, trunk lid, fuel tank, and some other miscellaneous bits. Anybody want them?? Free to a good home.... Jon Arzt Omaha, NE USA
  5. R

Where to find replacement seals for Alpine Fastback

I'll strongly suggest joining the Sunbeam Rapier Owner's Club in the UK. I've belonged on and off for a few years. www.sunbeamrapier.com Very friendly and helpful people, and they have a great club spare parts program. Jon Arzt Omaha, NE USA
  6. R

Here's the intake and carbs. fresh off eBay Australia - item # 180329306378 . Tempted to bid myself, but I only need carbs not the manifold. You'll still need an exhaust manifold, since the ports on yours won't match the alloy head. Oh, and I have a spare stock air cleaner assembly if you...
  7. R

Been there, done that. My '67 Arrow wagon is a base model, so had the cast head and single CD150. Easy enough to fix once engine rebuild time came around! You'll need to change at least the head, valve cover, manifolds, downpipe, and camshaft, but it's not a hard swap. If it runs OK now, start...
  8. R

electric radiator fan

Admittedly, without the water pump circulating the coolant flow will be small, but the system will thermosiphon on it's own. I have an electric engine warmer in the lower hose on that car as well, it warms everything quite nicely. But the fans also blow air into the engine compartment...
  9. R

electric radiator fan

On my Arrow wagon, I used 2 10 inch fans, mounting one on the front and one on the back. That way the two center mounting points are shared, and there's plenty of clearance with the stock fan removed. I installed a fitting from an old SAAB 900 in the lower rad hose, it's basically just a pipe...
  10. R

Fuel pressure?

And above all, remember to remove the stock fuel pump, don't just bypass it. The pump arm riding on the cam all the time will wear out the camshaft lobe.
  11. R

Humber Hawk

I run the parts department at a Saturn retailer, and have seen a lot of those 1.9 engines apart. Even after 100,000 miles, the bores are still cross-hatched. Tear them down, new standard size rings and bearings, and they're ready for another 100,000. A really nice, solid little engine. I'll...
  12. R

EFI with sidedrafttbi.com?

Since I'm running MS-1 on a V3.0 board, I'll have to upgrade either the processor or the firmware to do the spark control. If I have to play with the board, I might just as well go with the more accurate timing option. I know the old MG units were famous for blowing modules, so finding a used...
  13. R

Wouldn't mind the trip to Denver, but time and expense are a bit of a problem! lol Last time I was out there was when I bought my '58 Minx convertible. I'll have to keep my eyes open for an MG electronic distributor, though. Using the stock hall sender might be preferable to using the...
  14. R

Unfortunately, I don't have access to a 'scope yet. Depending on how I make out after I redo all the grounds I may have to start looking around for somebody who does. I was going for simplicity when I started out, so was planning on Megasquirt controlling the fuel only. But, it's capable of...
  15. R

I'm using the stock distributor with a Pertronix, though I also tried an MSD box using the Pertronix as a trigger, and the MSD tach out to signal RPM to the MS. Either way didn't make any difference, and without the MSD is a lot less cluttered. I had to use low impedance injectors due to the...
  16. R

Humber Hawk

A Saturn engine in a TR2? Did he make his own bellhousing adapter? Always thought a Saturn 1.9 would make a great swap into my Arrow, but have never seen anybody do a RWD swap.
  17. R

EFI update time again - I've been using the Arrow pretty much daily and working things out. The car's electrical system is quite "noisy", so I've added a noise filter to the ECU's power circuit. Driveablility has been great, the only remaining problem is one that developed as I fine-tuned...
  18. R

Knock on alloy wheel adapters

If Rimmer has one for a Midget, it will fit the Alpine splines. The MGB one is just a little too deep. The only problem would be that the bolt pattern for the wheel will be for a Midget not for a Sunbeam, so your existing wheels probably won't fit the adapters.
  19. R

Finally - update time: Now that winter is gone from the midwest and the weather is being cooperative, I'm back to work on the Arrow. Finished wiring it up this past week, and after a few minor bugs got the thing running on EFI yesterday! So far, idle behaviour has been good, MUCH better...
  20. R

Humber Hawk

If it's truly a 1957 Hawk, then it's the Series bodystyle like Scott's Super Snipe or like my own. The major difference is the drivetrain, as the Hawk uses the 2.2 liter 4 cylinder as was used in the Sunbeam Talbots. Not a powerhouse, but a capable car, especially if it has the manual gearbox...