• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. M

Photos of your V6 conversion exhaust system

Ken, I cut a second hole opposite the original Alpine pass thru. (not fun). I bought almost every bend (of exhaust tubing) that Canadian Tire sells. Lots of trial and error but it's a descent job. Mike (In Montreal)
  2. M

T5 Shifter Boot

I made one from a piece of Leatherette. Easy. I used an MGB ring to hold it to tunnel. Just from a two sided triangle with two sides, outside in. I simply used a stapler to sew one side. turn it inside out. Turn the top in and Voila!
  3. M

V8 Alpine project update

Kyle, FWIW, I converted my Sunbeam column by using parts from an MGB column. They mated perfectly so that it's all sunbeam from inside the car. The R&P is another story. Mike
  4. M

Alternator options.

Procraft, Could you offer the details on the NippoDenso alternator. I have a Delco unit but would really like something smaller. Mike
  5. M

new shows - Sunbeam on Overhaulin' Nov. 4th

The episode was on the Canadian Discovery channel last night. Although I think the metal work was really well done, I wasn't impressed with the changes Chip Fosse made. The wheels were awful. The wood dash was covered with leather. Ugh. To me the burl dash was one of the really neat...
  6. M

Disk Brakes (again)

Jim, yes as the Tbird rotor is vented. Just waiting to receive a pair of Ford Focus rotors from Summit that are .398 in thick. I suppose the vented rotors would be fine on a race car, but over kill for my needs. Unfortuenately Dales steered me towards that combo. Live and learn. Mike
  7. M

Disk Brakes (again)

Bill, your are right. I mis-spoke. I did mean Tbird rortors. A friend of mine has an 85 Seville. I'm hoping he will take the GM calipers. Mike
  8. M

Disk Brakes (again)

Bill, guidance is always appreciated. The Tbird callipers I bought based on the conversatiosn below are about 10 3/16 diameter. The Mags I have on the car are about 12.5 inside. Leaving a tad over 1" of space for the caliper. I'm not very familiar with RockAuto. Since I'm in Canada, I...
  9. M

Disk Brakes (again)

I received the calipers and rotors this week and I must agree. the calipers are beefy. I started to consider this project after I changed the pads on my daughters Altima. I was supprised to see that they were not very big and it seems that size might be suitable for this project. Then I...
  10. M

Disk Brakes (again)

Jim, I'm supposed to have the calipers Friday. I'll post a picture. Bill. Good idea re the bracket template. 1/4" mdf should work well. Comes in 2' x 4' sheets at HomeDepot. So enough to do plenty of trials. Mike
  11. M

Disk Brakes (again)

So Bill, can I take Dale's drawing for the bracket and simply modify it for the calipers I bought? Mike http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15458&highlight=disk+brakes&page=2
  12. M

Disk Brakes (again)

Bill, you're lucky. here the cars get inspected as thought they were going to be used as taxi's. One guy with a Healey failed because the gear shift knob didn't show the shift pattern. Only in Quebec. Otherwise great input here. Thanks. Mike
  13. M

Disk Brakes (again)

I've been toying with the idea lately. This morning I read a thread here which suggested Dales kit. I checked their site and the kit is over 1000 bucks. Nope! The info on the kit says they used Mutt II calipers. So guess what I found on Ebay for $88...
  14. M

66 Faux Tiger

To test for a bad ground is easy. Run a battery cable from the engine block to the battery ground post. I had a similar problem years ago. The risistance cause by a poor ground killed the battery in minutes. Mike
  15. M

Good Swap Transmission?

I started out with a T5 from a V6 Camaro. The ratios were too low. So now I have a T5 from the V8 camaro which is just right. The shifter came out quite far back, which meant I had to modify the tunnel. Looking at the photos here, I might try to find a tail from the Chevette T5. Mike
  16. M

Radiator Installed, Whoohoo

Yes, this takes a little trial and error before you get it right. You and you parts supplier will be buddies by the time your done. Which rad did you go with. Did you use the inline filler/cap? Mike
  17. M

Rack and pinion in Alpine

I know the R&P steering is tough. I've considered adding power steering. Do you have a photo you can post? How is the position of the rack relative to the ends of the steering arms? Mike
  18. M

Ammeter

Tom, thanks for clarifiying ths. I tried connecting from the alternator, and I thought the ammeter didn't work. I'll retry this weekend. Mike
  19. M

Ammeter

On the same subject. What is the correct way to wire these. Judging by the large terminals, it looks like the lead from the alternator should bass through the guage. I have one, but it's not hooked up yet. Mike
  20. M

Rack and pinion in Alpine

Procraft, where can we find more info on you crossmember. (Could you post a photo). Mike