• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. J

Steering gearbox Welch plug

Looks really good, either I weld up my shaft the way DanR advised or just buy yours, that’s less work so you can give me a price, thanks
  2. J

Series V, 1967 with adjustable column. I am pretty sure I saw your rebuild posted somewhere before, amazing! Looks like a $10,000 gearbox!! And what were you heating the housing up for when hanging outside?
  3. J

Thanks guys, good to hear from someone that’s been there done that. Can’t just run to the parts store and get this stuff. This original box from the car was really a mess inside.
  4. J

Thanks Dan, I wondered if anyone else had done that. I assume keeping the length the same is pretty critical but what about indexing the worm gear to the original shaft? Can’t remember if there is a master spline at the steering wheel or not or would that even matter? Thanks for the advice.
  5. J

Ok do you mean the length of what is left of the cut one? This has the adjustable column on this car by the way. The cutoff one is in the picture there, the end is barely visible. Probably a little over a foot long. Noticed the shafts are hollow, I suppose if a guy really wanted to be creative...
  6. J

Thanks for the reply, the box in the bottom picture has a cracked housing so I bought a used box from sunbeam specialties. It’s in pretty good shape inside and the lower bearing race is in there but the “washer “ as the service manual calls it is gone. No cracks are seen around the hole. I...
  7. J

My first time posting images, hope it works out. I could even just make a disc to plug the hole and stake it in and seal it if I don't find a plug.
  8. J

So I bought a used steering gear from SS, they sawed off the column and input shaft so I am trying to take 2 boxes and make one. So original box had no Welch plug hole machined in it and the used one does but plug is gone. Looking to find a plug without buying 5 or 10, nothing local found. About...
  9. J

No spark frustration

Only thing the solenoid would have to do with spark is the bypass circuit that sends battery voltage to coil during cranking. Some guys don’t even use that on their cars from what I have seen on other posts. Glad you got it going. A good solenoid will stick engaged when the battery voltage is...
  10. J

No spark frustration

Also you didn’t say anything about your ballast resistor, does it have a bypass circuit from the starter relay? Maybe not getting enough current to coil if you do have a weak spark
  11. J

No spark frustration

Put a test light on negative coil connection and see if it’s blinking when cranking. I put points and condenser in one with the little plastic insulator in wrong and it shorted the coil circuit to ground. Felt stupid because the points came with a paper showing how it went, points I took out...
  12. J

Steering gearbox cracked

Looks like a beefy setup, thanks everyone for your input!
  13. J

Steering gearbox cracked

So after putting an engine in this 67 alpine I drive it for the first time and the steering clunks around up thru the column, box is dry inside and discovered housing cracked. SS in CA helped me find a used box for $150 with column. Has anyone changed a box without removing engine? Shop manual...
  14. J

Need Weber advice

Thanks that looks like it would work. For around $300 I can get a correct Weber and save some hassle, maybe will do that. Then I would have better choke cable linkage than my current carb. Thanks again
  15. J

Need Weber advice

Yes thanks for the help, the carb and manifold came from a third party many years ago, I am wondering if it could be mg? I will see what I can do with this thing, I could put the original carbs on but they’ve been sitting about 20 years
  16. J

Need Weber advice

Anyone recommend any certain kits?? Thanks
  17. J

Need Weber advice

Thanks, yes I would if it comes to that, it would require some carb shaft adapter and brackets for sure.
  18. J

Need Weber advice

I have a Weber DFV bolted to a log style manifold, working on adapting linkage to it. This carb is the mirror image of a dgv so the throttle has to rotate opposite of every one I’ve seen so far. Should I even attempt it? Was going to flip the linkage over and try that.
  19. J

Weber DFV clockwise linkage?

So a friend brings me a carb/manifold to convert on a series v, this looks like it will not be a simple linkage modification since this carb has to rotate opposite. Only pictures I see of conversions are of dgv carbs. So probably will try to flip the lever towards the master cylinder to reverse...