• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. I

Possible Ignition Switch Issue?

When turning the key to the start position with all white wires connected to the ignition switch, the starter does not engage or spin. When I unplug one of the 2 white wires from the switch the starter engages and spins, but I no longer have voltage at the coil, and no longer have spark at the...
  2. I

Tom, I had made JR66's recommendation with a multimeter. What concluded from that was there were 12ish volts when turning the key into the ignition position from the switch to the coil when having one of the 2 white wires connected, but no voltage when having both and or the other white wire...
  3. I

So ive attempted to bypass the wire I suspected was causing the short in the ignition switch. What I did was disconnect one of the white wires that went to the ignition switch, this wire is also the one going to the coil. I wired in a bypass wire, connecting the coil to the ignition switch...
  4. I

Stuck Clutch?

I wouldnt be able to attempt it in reverse in the first place due to me not being able to put it in reverse. I have no idea why I'm hoping it will free up once the car is rolling. When I can ill attempt to get the clutch free using the link you sent.
  5. I

Stuck Clutch?

I know somewhat, the car had all new components when it was parked. Sadly that was 20 years ago so I'm not sure anymore.
  6. I

It seems i can either have spark or starter, but not both at the same time. When I have one of the the white wire plugged into pin 2, the starter runs when put in the correct position. But when I unplug that wire and plug in the other white wire into pin 2, I get spark at the coil but no...
  7. I

Stuck Clutch?

Im working on replacing the clutch slave cylinder because it was in desperate need of replacement. While down there I wanted to see if the clutch would even disengage, and it appears it won't disengage. I manually pushed the clutch arm forwards and backward and the engine would lock up both...
  8. I

I was able to get the starter to go after I disconnected one of the white wires on pin 2. The wire with 2 wires coming off it. I suspect an electrical short somewhere in there but for now, the car has ignition, intermittently sadly but its there.
  9. I

Starter solenoid:
  10. I

Thank you all for the replies. Sadly I have an after-market starter solenoid, ill post an image when I have a chance to take it. When connecting the starter solenoid wire to pin 3 and then turning the key against the force of the spring nothing happened, no starter clicks or anything. When I...
  11. I

Image of ignition switch wiring
  12. I

After letting the car sit overnight I tried starting it again today (via crossing the 2 points at the solenoid). The starter sounded, I'm not sure how to frase it, extra crunchy/vibraty? I can post a video with the sound in a bit. Regardless after letting it sit for a bit the starter seemed to...
  13. I

67 sunbeam alpine hard starting

Hello all, Ive recently been working on restoring a sunbeam alpine 5 over the last few weeks. Its sat for just under 20 years in a sideyard. A few days ago I finally got the engine turning over and running, even idling for a little bit. The issue now is the starter no longer turns the engine...