• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Stuck Clutch?

Ian Faulkner

Donation Time
Im working on replacing the clutch slave cylinder because it was in desperate need of replacement. While down there I wanted to see if the clutch would even disengage, and it appears it won't disengage. I manually pushed the clutch arm forwards and backward and the engine would lock up both times I would attempt to start when in gear.
Could it possibly by something else?

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
The car was sitting for some 20 years, correct? One possible issue is the clutch disk has become stuck to the flywheel. If you knew all of your clutch components were in good working order and the issue was a stuck clutch disk, then there are some other threads on the forum about breaking free a stuck clutch disk. However, I am guessing you have no idea what condition the clutch disk, pressure plate, throw out bearing, etc. are in. Might be best to pull the gearbox and see what is going on with the clutch components.

Mike

Ian Faulkner

Donation Time
I know somewhat, the car had all new components when it was parked. Sadly that was 20 years ago so I'm not sure anymore.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
I know somewhat, the car had all new components when it was parked. Sadly that was 20 years ago so I'm not sure anymore.

Having all new components does not mean that they are the correct components (hint, clutch disc diameter) or that they were installed correctly.

The symptoms noted in your original post suggest that either the clutch disc is stuck to the flywheel or that the clutch disc is not being (or cannot be) released by the clutch cover.

As Mike said, "... pull the gearbox and see what is going on with the clutch components."

RootesRooter

Donation Time
I wouldn't use reverse. I want my Alpine pointed down a long driveway or neighborhood street where I can maneuver if the clutch doesn't break free immediately.

Pulling the tranny is a lot of work if it turns out to be a simple stuck clutch. If you feel your hydraulics are working, I'd try 'driving' it first.

Last edited:

Ian Faulkner

Donation Time
I wouldnt be able to attempt it in reverse in the first place due to me not being able to put it in reverse. I have no idea why I'm hoping it will free up once the car is rolling. When I can ill attempt to get the clutch free using the link you sent.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Can't get it into reverse? Since it's an SV I assume you have tried by pulling the shift lever to the Right and Rearward. But it may be an earlier tranny, with reverse to the Left and Forward.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I wouldn't use reverse. I want my Alpine pointed down a long driveway or neighborhood street where I can maneuver if the clutch doesn't break free immediately.

Pulling the tranny is a lot of work if it turns out to be a simple stuck clutch. If you feel your hydraulics are working, I'd try 'driving' it first.

When my clutch disc was stuck, my car was pulled into my garage in the normal way. So if I used first gear, my car would run into all the stuff in front of it. Using reverse, the car would exit my garage and start going down the driveway. I had everything blocked up well, so it was very unlikely it was going to go anywhere.

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
If the brakes work , I would try driving it in 1st gear and hold the clutch pedal down as you jerk the car with the gas pedal. Generally that will free it up, if indeed it is stuck.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
You can't get it into ANY gear at the moment. The strategy here is to start the car with shifter in 1st and your foot holding down the clutch the whole time. Turning the key will cause the starter to lurch the car forward. If the engine is warmed up and running well, the engine should start after 3 or 4 lurches. In theory, your clutch should break free within a few seconds. If it doesn't break free right away, you want an escape route planned or to just turn off the key and regroup. I've had one Alpine that required turning several circles in a cul de sac before it popped.

I wouldnt be able to attempt it in reverse in the first place due to me not being able to put it in reverse. I have no idea why I'm hoping it will free up once the car is rolling. When I can ill attempt to get the clutch free using the link you sent.

pruyter

Donation Time
My procedure is the following: Jack up the car at the rear axle and let it rest on two axle stands (one on the left and one on the right) and then put the car in first gear. Keep the clutch pedal pressed in and then start the engine. The last thing to do is press the brake pedal several times while the rear wheels are spinning which frees the clutch plate.
My experience is that it helps to warm up the engine before starting the procedure above.

Regards,

Peter