• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. john.hemsath

Grinding noise - front wheel bearings perhaps?

I just started hearing grinding noises (like worn out brake pads on a caliper which mine aren't btw) in my SV when backing up and the wheels are turned all the way to the left. The noise doesn't happen with the tires turned all the way to the right. I also wasn't able to repeat the noise...
  2. john.hemsath

Oil drain plug washer

Just ordered a few oil drain plug washers from SS in Campbell Ca. It's not obvious which side of the washer faces the pan as the two sides are very different looking (see attached). Any advice for this "newer" Series V owner will be welcomed. Happy motoring...!
  3. john.hemsath

California Car Cover Co.

A shout out to TIGER owners. CCCC put you on the cover of their Fall 2016 issue! Sorry for the graininess but this site has file size limits.
  4. john.hemsath

Headlamp quandary

I recently lost the high beam on the driver side so believed the bulb went kaput. I replaced it with an identical lamp from NAPA Auto Parts and I still have no high beam plus the low beam is less bright than the passenger side headlight (about the same as was the old bulb). Having scoured...
  5. john.hemsath

Torque value for the oil drain plug?

Just wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a torque value to use for the oil drain plug. I recently changed oil, inserted a new washer purchased from SS and torqued it to 35 lb which felt snug but not too tight. I'm still seeing a drop a day onto the drip tray. Perhaps I shouldn't...
  6. john.hemsath

Bad rubber snubber / good shock - bad shock ?

Was poking around under the front wheel wells of my SV this AM and discovered some very deteriorated snubbers. Wondering about their impact on the ride. I feel a lot of the road when cruising around and am curious how to know if I'm also in need of new shocks front and rear. FYI, I tried...
  7. john.hemsath

Oil pressure drops to 20 at idle

Noticed recently oil pressure dropping from about 40-45 while driving to about 20 at idle...is this cause for concern? Perhaps it's been doing this all along and I just now noticed. My beam is a 67 SV that I've put less than 1k miles on since purchase. Thanks in advance for your...
  8. john.hemsath

Previous owner?

Looking to find the previous of the previous owner of my '67 Series V. I understand that person resided in Iowa and sold the car to the owner of a car dealership in Sioux Falls, SD. The car is painted Holly Green inside and out and had many changes done to the engine prior to it arriving...
  9. john.hemsath

Got an "N" you'd part with?

I'm in need of a letter N for the trunk lid having broken one of the 2 mounting posts off while installing washers and gaskets on the lettering where none previously existed. I hope I won't need to buy an entire "letter set" from S.S. if I don't have to. Please ping me if you are able to...
  10. john.hemsath

Replacing positive battery cable

I've searched the forum for tips on replacing a positive battery cable in my SV but came up empty handed so thought I'd throw the question to the masses. Anyone know of a best practice to use to feed a new cable thru the channels where the old one still resides? I fully intend to eliminate the...
  11. john.hemsath

Looking to ID this unit

Hello all, There is a unit, see attached with arrow, in the engine bay of my SV. There is only one wire coming off it going to ground so it's not performing any function at this time...I found the following numbers on the side of the unit 387061 2 67 and tried a search but came up empty...
  12. john.hemsath

Weber carb - idling issues

I've been experiencing idling issues for a few weeks. Thought it was just old petrol. Drained tanks and had them (and cross over pipes) sandblasted/coated internally. Blew out gas line to get all the black death out. Replaced gas filter attached to electronic fuel pump. Old one was filled with...
  13. john.hemsath

Rear license lamp

I recently ordered a Rear License Plate Lamp for my Series V (395017224) from VB Part number 8-732. It arrived today but the holes do not come close to matching the holes in the body beneath my trunk release. What I perceive as the mounting holes in my Alpine are 2.5 inches apart. The VB...
  14. john.hemsath

Lug Torque

Just curious if anyone has done research on lug nut torque recommendations for a Series V Alpine. My 67 Ser. V has Minator 14" Classic Style Alloy Wheels. I'm guessing it's somewhere around 80 ft lbs but thought I'd ask as I've come up empty with my searches. Happy motoring
  15. john.hemsath

Alloy wheels sold by Victoria British Ltd

Made an inquiry to VB re: the brand of rim they sell...Classic Style Alloy Wheel part number 9-2509 14" x 5.5" for $159.95 but they could not, or would not tell me the name of the manufacturer. Has someone out there purchased this item from VB who could tell me if they are Minators brand...