• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. Boobtube

1965 Alpine for sale on BaT

I'm selling my Alpine on BaT if interested. No Reserve price. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-sunbeam-alpine-5/
  2. Boobtube

Pertronix effect Tach?

I had changed my system over to negative ground and added a Pertronix ignition with the Ignitor II module along with the matching "Flamethrower" coil. Would this effect the tachometer function? I get no movement. I reversed the two input power connections as shown on the web when I switched...
  3. Boobtube

Adding Camber Shims

Can the camber shims be added (to a Series IV) without taking apart the whole suspension? Can I just loosen the two bolts holding the upper control arm enough to slip in a shim or two? Or is it under too much tension to spread apart the arm from the frame?
  4. Boobtube

postive to negative ground with alternator

I'm doing both a switch from positive to negative ground AND replacing the generator with an alternator(actually, a dynamator). I wanted to keep the tach and have changed the two internal connections for this. But I see in some of the writeups, that the direction of the loop in the back of the...
  5. Boobtube

Switching to negative ground question

I am going switch my Series IV to negative ground and have looked at the list of things to change and read that there is no change needed to the starter motor. This may be a stupid question but doesn't a DC motor change direction when changing polarity? While I'm relieved that no change is...
  6. Boobtube

kickdown cable for BW35

I'm trying to locate a kickdown cable for the BW35 tranny this car of mine has. I have located one for a Volvo p1800 and another for MG and both were for the right transmission but the wrong length. The Sunbeam cable is 27 inches long (outer cable sheath length from fitting to fitting). The...
  7. Boobtube

Getting the top down all the way

Here's my dilemma...I purchased the car (S IV) with the top up and have not touched it until now, as I have now come close to the finish line of all the work to get this car on the road. It's a pretty new top and I don't think the last owner ever had it down. I tried lowering it but the one...
  8. Boobtube

Seat-back locking mechanism

I'm looking for the 3-tooth piece that mounts to the seat side and moves up and down via a lever to engage this piece with the geared piece located on the seat back. The teeth on my driver's side are sheared off. This is for a Series IV. The piece measures about 3 1/4" long.
  9. Boobtube

e-brake button

The button on my E brake has flown the coop(see photo). I don't know where it went. I guess the spring launched it somewhere. I knew it was loose so I may have put it in a safe place, so safe that I'll never find it again. I don't suppose anyone has an extra one of these?
  10. Boobtube

Brake Master Cylinder issue?

OK, I had my brakes all back together and began the bleeding process. What seems to have occurred is that the newly acquired master cylinder has a different depth for the push rod which is causing the piston to stay partially engaged and not allowing pressure release. This locks up the...
  11. Boobtube

Another Flame Trap question

My S IV was missing the flame trap but has the hose fitting for it on the oil filler. However, the previous owner replaced the original carb with a Weber carb so there is no place for the other end of the hose to connect to. What would be the best solution? Leave the oil filler opening just...
  12. Boobtube

Brake Line Flares

Hi all, I've read a few threads on brake line flares and from what I've gleaned, it is ok to use a double flare on these cars in place of the original(obsolete)British Girling flare. The female portion of these original fittings are concave but from what I've read elsewhere, cranking down the...
  13. Boobtube

Front driver side spindle for Series IV

My driver side front spindle is chewed up pretty badly. Could use a good one if anyone has an extra in their parts pile. Thanks.--ken
  14. Boobtube

64 or 65 Series IV?

I was reading on the site as to how to identify your Alpine by the VIN but I can't find a specific year for the VINs. I have a Series IV that I assumed is a '65 but when reading the information, they just say my VIN applies to the years 64 through 65. Is there a way to nail it down to 64 or...
  15. Boobtube

Brake caliper rebuild or replacement

I've seen in older posts of calipers that direct fit the originals such as the Centric 141.61102(driver), Raybestos FRC3004, etc. These all seem to have vanished from the face of the earth. Discontinued, unavailable. So I will have to rebuild my originals but need the rubber seals. I have...
  16. Boobtube

brake clarification

I'm finishing up work on the gas tanks and leaking rear seals of my 64 SIV and now need to turn my attention to the brakes. I would like to replace the lines and fittings but have been reading that these fittings use a British thread rather than standard US. Assuming it's all stock, what type...
  17. Boobtube

Axle nut question

I need to replace the Nylock rear axle nuts and the various ones that I find at nut and bolt suppliers are too high. I did find these low profile nuts--> https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=AN364 but I think they are Grade 5 (if I can decipher that tensile strength)...
  18. Boobtube

Pinion oil seal sizes?

I just pulled out the pinion oil seal on my 64 Alpine and grabbed the replacement only to discover it was much smaller than what I just removed. The old has an inner of 1.5" with an outer of 2.55"(as best I could measure) and a width of .5". The replacement I got from Rock Auto was a National...
  19. Boobtube

What's this bolt from auto-transmission?

I have the Borg Warner automatic transmission on my recently acquired 65 Sunbeam and I removed the transmission oil pan and found a piece of bolt sitting in the bottom. Anyone familiar with these transmissions and have a guess as to where it came from? (see pics)
  20. Boobtube

Rear fender rot

I recently acquired a 65 Alpine and am new to this car so I'll probably be asking some dumb questions as I get up to speed (no pun intended) with familiarizing myself with this car. There is rot at the rear wheel wells (under the gas tanks in the trunk area) in the back where all the crud gets...