• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alpine And Tiger Trunk Lift Support Project

Nevadanut

Donation Time
Just finished the trunk lift support system for the Sunbeam project. It bolts into the trunk of the Tiger or Alpine using the existing mounting points in the chassis and trunklid. I've assembled a kit that includes a pair of trunk lid brackets, a set of gas charged lift supports and a bushing assy that bolts into the location that held the old trunk lid hinge arms and spring assy. I have seen many Tigers and Alpines over the years that use the old "broomstick" to hold the trunklid up due to old corroded parts or the lack of. If anyone wants a kit for their car - contact me with an e-mail. Photos can be seen at the website on the Sunbeam Project page.

http://www.toyzjunkie.com
hokey@oasisol.com

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

Your V6 turbo conversion looks awesome :cool: . That will be one very quick Alpine once complete. I will keep an eye on your progress and keep up the great work. The strut kit looks great and is very compact. What is the kit worth?

Merry Christmas, Robin.

65beam

Donation Time
trunk support

my question is , does the trunk support require tweaking and modification as his tiger front suspension does. the suspension kit is not just a bolt in. takes a lot of work to install it. works great once done and tweaked and does solve the tiger steering problem. lots better than the original ever could be . i have never had a problem with the trunk on any of my cars. they stay up and drop and latch with no problems. have anyone else had problems?

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
I got a very simple design plan and the two critical bushings from Procraft a few months ago and installed it in time for the PIR/Sunbeam meeting in November. No mods to the trunk or the body. Works smooth. Best part is I can put stuff in the trunk or work on things back there and the trunk lid won't slip and hit me on the head. Love it. Thanks Joel/Procraft.

sunbeam39

Donation Time
looks good to me

Between rusty old springs, boots that put indentations in the back of ones head (twice) the gas shocks is an obvious way to upgrade. If your a purist and have no issues with original hardware then so be it. For some of us, we like to improve the look and this definately does it. Like it, thunbs up!!:D

65beam

Donation Time
lift support

i guess it all goes back to everything being adjusted right. the trunk on our blue car stays up and drops and latches without having to be slammed shut. eliminates the dents i have seen on so many trunks. also pops up off the latch when opened. then just raise it. the same on all of our beams. it's all in the details.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
My trunks still have the original supports.I used the second spring catch.One can also shorten the spring by heating,bending and then puttin the still almost red end in oil.
I have been using a gas strut for the hood for many years.It was so long ago that I had to replace it on one of our long distance trips a few years back

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Robin
Did you get the pictures

Hi Chuck,

I wasn't aware that you were sending me some pictures. Sunbeamowner was asking for some pictures. If you were sending some to me, I didn't receive anything (maybe caught in the spam filter).

Regards, Robin.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Hi Chuck,

I wasn't aware that you were sending me some pictures. Sunbeamowner was asking for some pictures. If you were sending some to me, I didn't receive anything (maybe caught in the spam filter).

Regards, Robin.

It was NEVADANUT as he signed Robin.
Sorry for any confusion.
May all your roads be smooth for 2010

sunbeamowner

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hi Peter,

The struts look really good. Any troubles fitting them? Weren't there any models available for the video ;) .

Regards, Robin.

No problems just needed to paint the brackets to match the car then unbolt and remove the old spring system and bolt in the new strut system. Some minor adjusting (make sure all the nuts and bolts including the ones on the hinges are tight).
I did get a model for the video (Fat Bastard from Austin Powers).