• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

respray

JonPiz

Donation Time
After 13 years rebuilding my series 2 all by myself, I have succumbed to having a professional respray. I got fed up with the rubbing down, the paint reactions, and the smell of cellulose paint drifting through the house. Im having it done next week in 2 pack with a clear coat finish. Then I can finally start finishing the car!! Ill post pictures when its painted.

alpine_64

Donation Time
While its admirable to do things yourself, and with paint preparation is a major part, which is man hours and patience, getting a proper professional with good equipment and an oven for paint is a good idea. The paint defines the car ... Its the thing you see when its in the garage quiet, when you pull up at a show and when you look at it in photos.... So get a good job and enjoy it.... Just try and hold off that first scratch or chip as kibg as you can... And when assembling it together again.. PROTECT it! Tape edges, cover guards with sheets... Keep it clean and dust free before you put things on it to avoid fine scratches and swirls.

Good luck!

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Michael : "...as kibg as you can..." ??? That is the worst case of typo I have ever seen! - THREE missed keys in a row! And almost no other errors in the whole message. Strange!:D

Tom

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
...the smell of cellulose paint drifting through the house.
No one uses lacquer or can buy it, its ALL catalyzed urethane (using Isocyanates hardener). I use a full body suit with a fresh air breathing system for my resprays, and thats a necessity for good heath, no question. I understand taking it to a pro/painter to do it. It really takes a lot of resources now to paint it right.
Jan

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
Michael : "...as kibg as you can..." ??? That is the worst case of typo I have ever seen! - THREE missed keys in a row! And almost no other errors in the whole message. Strange!:D

Tom

Long .... Bloody small smartphone keyboards ( and me not reading it after to check) managed to get the adjacent letter on all but the last one... :eek:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
No one uses lacquer or can buy it, its ALL catalyzed urethane (using Isocyanates hardener). I use a full body suit with a fresh air breathing system for my resprays, and thats a necessity for good heath, no question. I understand taking it to a pro/painter to do it. It really takes a lot of resources now to paint it right.
Jan

Lacquer is available as well as uncatalyzed enamels. Try looking at DupliColor paint and Kirker Paint.

Bill

Gitnrusty

Donation Time
Have to remember that JonPiz is in the UK and paint regulations are probably quite different to those in the US.
I was reminded of that a couple of years ago on a street in London, walking past a storefront being repainted had the strong odor of what I believe was lead based paint.
Had not smelled that since growing up there in the 50s. Or was it on board ship somewhere?

JonPiz

Donation Time
Jan

Cellulose is still available in the UK along with Saccharin and Kinder Eggs

fastfrontier17

Donation Time
Seems prep work is doable at home, but the final color, clear, wet sand, and polish seems to be best if done by the pros.

Bikesandfires

Donation Time
A show quality paint job CAN be done in a home garage..or even the driveway. You don't even need an air compressor, or even electric power of any kind. You'll have forearms like Popeye by the time you're done tho. As a bet I painted a Model T grill shell with lacquer using a fly spray...Remember these?? (Looked like a bicycle tire pump with a little metal container on the end). Sanded and rubbed it out all by hand. When I was done nobody in the shop could tell it from an identical one my buddy painted with a gun and machine buffed. It just took me SEVERAL hours longer to do.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Ys I remember the flyspray....

Man you sure had a lot of hand pumping to paint a car:eek:

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
There is also a spray gun that came with some Vacuums.Similar to,the hand pump one but used the air blowing from the vacuum.

JonPiz

Donation Time
There is also a spray gun that came with some Vacuums.Similar to,the hand pump one but used the air blowing from the vacuum.

I resprayed my first car with one of these. We nicknamed it the "jetpack" as it was so noisy. The vacuum part was on a shoulder strap and the paint gun had a glass jar. Worked brilliantly for several cars until my friends dad smashed it in a fit of rage cause we kept using his garage!!

Alpine66

Donation Time
I had only done panel /fender sprays before deciding to take the plunge and spray my 'pine.

Had to upgrade my 12 year old tired air compressor but it was due anyway.
Used a base/clear.

Attachments

• IMG_20150517_190541 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20150517_190541 - Copy.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 38

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have found that next to the eternal prep work, the next big problem is dirt. How did you approach it? I turned the garage into a paint booth.

What did you do? Makes me tired to even think of all the work involved.

Bill

Alpine66

Donation Time
I have found that next to the eternal prep work, the next big problem is dirt. How did you approach it? I turned the garage into a paint booth.

What did you do? Makes me tired to even think of all the work involved.

Bill

Nicely done Bill, I did essentially the same thing as I don't have access to a booth. Made a filter frame to fit one door and sealed it, then a fan frame on another door. Pia but worth it and it did well. Not as good as a commercial booth of course but it worked.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Sounds like my setup. Made a blower cabinet and fit a couple of furnace filters to keep the bugs and most of the dust outside. Worked very well. There was no fume buildup, which makes using a face mask doable, but a ton of work.

Here is shot of it all ready to go to work.

Bill

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Covering well,is important to be sure. Poly is cheap
As to an exhaust fan. I have a large vent At floor level which is the powered by a bigger exhaust fan. I also have a door with a filter to supply air. I also use the disposable air filters. When sanding it works extrembly well but a dust mask is very important. I have a couple of proper half face respirators. Very important when spraying. My compressor is shop,size so do not run out of CFMs.