• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Amazing saw-stop

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Hi Nick

Where do you find time to find all these so interesting things

Neat idea indeed

.After 60 years I still have never cut myself on a saw.Hammered the thumb a few times.OK more than a few times.Jabbed a finger a couple of times with a slipping screwdriver.Burned my self once but that so far is it.I have learned to wear good work gloves as I seemed to always find ways to get a good and bleeding scratch.Quick where is the masking tape?SAFTETY!!!! is the word especially when working with any tool.I never work on a car with a jack in any scenario other than to remove a wheel

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
On other woodworking and machine tool forums, those have been the subject of diatribes that make Tiger/Alpine re-body discussions look like Girl Scout meetings. Hopefully their expense won't make schools just eliminate shops due to the expense. I heard talk of a retrofit (not from SawStop) that works on existing saws.

socorob

Donation Time
It's a great idea. My friend is an ER nurse and I sent him that link last night and he said the majority of hand injuries by a large number is from table saws. He loved it. We worked construction together when we were young and he cut off the last digit of his pinky, although with a skillsaw not a table saw. They were able to re attach it though by drilling a hole into each side and sliding a wire into it to hold it in place. He just can't bend the last section of that pinky.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
About 20 years ago I decided I had been pretty lucky, working all those years with wood wooking equipment and still having ten fingers to help with my calculations. Dropped woodworking and went with metal shop. Much safer and more practical. Who was ever able to do an engine swap with woodworking tool? Do not miss woodworking at all.

Bill

Nickodell

Donation Time
It's a great idea. My friend is an ER nurse and I sent him that link last night and he said the majority of hand injuries by a large number is from table saws.

A neighbor of mine taught shop, and pounded into several generations of students that machines have no conscience and will as gladly saw you as your work. He retired two years ago and reached under his tractor mower to clear a jammed bit of tree branch, the blade of which promptly started again. Lost the tip of his ring finger, first knuckle of his middle and third knuckle of his index fingers.
He walked into the house in a daze, close to shock, and his wife drove him to hospital with the index finger in ice water, which they managed to reattach, although he has little feeling in it. They never found the middle one. A second of carelessness; a lifetime of regret.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
A neighbor of mine taught shop, and pounded into several generations of students that machines have no conscience and will as gladly saw you as your work. He retired two years ago and reached under his tractor mower to clear a jammed bit of tree branch, the blade of which promptly started again. Lost the tip of his ring finger, first knuckle of his middle and third knuckle of his index fingers.
He walked into the house in a daze, close to shock, and his wife drove him to hospital with the index finger in ice water, which they managed to reattach, although he has little feeling in it. They never found the middle one. A second of carelessness; a lifetime of regret.

Yes, and woodworking virtually demands your fingers be inches away from that wirling steel. Makes it very easy to do something stupid. It gives me the willies to even think about it. Working steel, I can clamp things down and let the machine do its thing while I'm standing away from all the action.
But if your not willing to bleed a little on each job, stay in the living room. Its dangerous out there.

Bill

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
The "self test" is similar to the demo of the first GFIs in which the guy stood in a wading pool and dunked a running power drill. Gotta think for an instant, "What if ...?"

Nickodell

Donation Time
Working steel, I can clamp things down and let the machine do its thing while I'm standing away from all the action.
Bill

Yes, but ...

My dad was a very keen mechanic, and virtually never had anyone lay a tool on any of his motorbikes or cars. He taught me most of what I know, beginning with decarbonizing the piston and cylinder head of my first motorbike (anyone remember having to do that? Scraping the "coke" off the piston crown, using a chisel made from a bar of body solder so as not to scratch the piston.) As early as I can remember, he had an aphorism: Tools have no conscience. Familiarity breeds contempt; if you get careless, sooner or later one will hurt you.

My best friend in high school chose mechanical (i.e. metalworking) shop, and one day, working with a lathe and having for once ignored the warning board behind it stating REMOVE ALL JEWELRY AND NECKTIES, managed to get the rotating work in the chuck grab the signet ring his grandfather had bequeathed to him that he never stopped showing us. It simply pulled his finger, complete with tendon as far back as his wrist, out. All the ER surgeon had to do was stitch the gap up and give him some pain killers.

I've heard of people getting their faces machined because they didn't take their neckties off.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yes, but ...

My best friend in high school chose mechanical (i.e. metalworking) shop, and one day, working with a lathe and having for once ignored the warning board behind it stating REMOVE ALL JEWELRY AND NECKTIES, managed to get the rotating work in the chuck grab the signet ring his grandfather had bequeathed to him that he never stopped showing us. It simply pulled his finger, complete with tendon as far back as his wrist, out. All the ER surgeon had to do was stitch the gap up and give him some pain killers.

I've heard of people getting their faces machined because they didn't take their neckties off.
For sure.
Anyone feeling the need to use any power equipment should be required to look at this series of photos.
www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/show...gh-lathe-Don-t-click-if-you-don-t-want-to-see
Loosing a finger is pretty smalltime, considering what others have lost. Roll up sleeves, remove jewery and tie, pull hair back into a bun, put on goggles, do not try to stop the machine manually and for God's sake, file left handed.

Bill