• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1964 Series IV V6

SDuncan

Donation Time
It pains me to do this, but things aren't turning out the way I had planned with this car. I purchased the car in March from the owner in Los Angeles, with the plan of getting it shipped home. After getting ripped off by a dishonest vehicle shipper on uship.com, my level of frustration is very high. With summer driving season here, and higher fuel prices, the quotes I am getting for shipping have gone up by about 30%, which adds to my issues. So, I am posting the car up here to see if anyone is interested.

I purchased the car with the help of Kelly Mathis (kmathis), a fellow V6er here on the board. The car has also been inspected by Nick (Series6) and Darkside Leader V6 Jose, all of whom gave the car their thumbs up.

The details of the car are as follows:

- Converted to a Ford 2.8 V6 in the early 90's with a Ford Capri donor car, using the 2.8 engine, 4spd transmission and brake/clutch pedals due to the clutch being cable actuated. The conversion was not done with Jose's kit, but was properly done without any butchering of the crossmember. The car also has a shortened 8-inch Ford rear axle.

- The engine supposedly had some porting done to the heads, but that hasn't been confirmed. The rad outlets have been reconfigured to work with the V6 engine. It does run, and drive, although the brakes need some work, likely due to a leaky booster.

- The car has Spax shocks front & rear, and supposedly has stiffer Tiger front springs and front swaybar. The car also has a rear swaybar installed.

- The gauges were not hooked up after the conversion, but an aftermarket tach was installed that works. The rest of the electrics work as they should. The car also has an electric fuel pump.

- The bad part of the car is some minor collision damage to the front passenger headlight. Kelly looked at it and confirmed the frame rail was not damaged. The owner told me he rear-ended someone at a fairly low speed, which damaged the headlight area and the front valance. I showed some photos of the damage to a body guy and he felt much of the damage could be pulled/straightened out, with a new piece being needed for the headlight area and some metalwork on the valance. Other than that damage, there are a couple small dents on the body, but it is otherwise rust-free and free of filler and hidden damage.

- The soft top and interior are tired but serviceable. It is a project, but for anyone looking for a running V6 Alpine, you'd be hard-pressed to find a better deal.

I am asking $2700 which will allow me to recoup the price of the car. The money I lost to the shipper will have to be an expensive lesson learned. The car is at Kelly's in California and I would like to get it out of his hair. He has been a kind and understanding host, but I don't want to overstay my welcome either. If I can't get my asking price, I will suck it up and pay the extra for shipping to get it home. Hopefully someone closer to Kelly will be interested, and I will look for a car closer to home so I can go get it myself.

I will gladly email photos to anyone interested. Just shoot me a PM with your address.

Attachments

• Alpine fender.jpg
    Alpine fender.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 74

SDuncan

Donation Time
Well, through the dark clouds came a ray of sunshine. I have found someone who will transport the car for me, for a price I can live with. They will be in LA tomorrow and will pick up the car. Thanks to anyone who contacted me about the car, but I am happy to say the car will be going to a good home....MINE!:D

(Mods, you can delete this thread if you see fit.)

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Hi Scott

I figured here we go again when I read you were selling the car.Glad to see a bit of sunshine found you.Look foreward to your updates on this car.
Enjoy the journey

SDuncan

Donation Time
I'm not sure exactly what that means, but thanks I guess.

After being strung along for close to 6 weeks by someone who agreed to haul the car and had taken my money to do so, I found out I was dealing with a crook who had taken my money and ran. The sting of that, plus finding out that shipping prices had gone up close to $500 from when I initially started the process had me thinking the sanity of the whole process. I know deep pockets and buckets of money will solve most problems, but I have neither. Thankfully it turned out in the end.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Hi Scott

I was saying that it was great to see you are getting the car back to Saskatchewan.I remember you regretting having to sell the other one
I hope this works out to be a great car,
Too bad there are crooks that take advantage of people

Keep us informed

hotrod

Donation Time
I have had cars shipped before. One must be extremely careful in choosing a shipper. There are many shady characters in that business. Most are simply brokers and may lowball a price to get you to use them. Then they can't find anyone to haul it for the price they offered you. Of course they want their broker fee money up front and once they have it, you're not getting it back.