• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Windscreen removal

Hodee

Donation Time
I’m replacing my dash pad and windscreen rubbers etc. This is a Ser V. The four outer stud nuts came off easily. What are the tricks to reaching the others? Especially the very center nut. Do I have to be a gymnast and triple jointed? Thanks

alpine_64

Donation Time
Do you have a radio or heater? Release the defroster ducts at the heater end, remove the ses and lie on your back and use an extension socket

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Wobble or universal at the end of your extension should be fine. They are just hard to see, but a mirror and good lighting helps.
Good luck with your project.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Sorry, but the whole dashboard needs to come out. beside the 1/4-28 nuts up front the cardboard finishing strips (under the front edge) need to come out too..
Jan

Hodee

Donation Time
Well, I got the windscreen off and only had to remove the simple Rootes emblem out of the center of the dash. The only difficult nut was the center and I could see it through the dash emblem hole and a good light. A stubby wrench and a lengthy vocabulary got it off. Now my next question… Is there a recommended starting point to installing a new rubber surround using the rope and lube method? Thanks.

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Do you have the old cardboard strip? Good to fabricate off the old one as a pattern. Use Hobby Lobby or Michael’s black cardboard picture backing for material. Correct thickness.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Do they sell replacements for the cardboard strips or should I fabricate them?
The strips come off by drilling the 1/8" pop-rivets and just reuse them. Are you saying they are missing?
Installing the pad is not going to be easy as well as the new windscreen rubber seal.
Jan

Hodee

Donation Time
The strips come off by drilling the 1/8" pop-rivets and just reuse them. Are you saying they are missing?
Installing the pad is not going to be easy as well as the new windscreen rubber seal.
Jan
Thanks Jan. I certainly trust your evaluation of the job and your past experience. This is indeed my first attempt at the jobs described. I’m fairly patient,handy, meticulous and stubborn and not in any particular order. It’s just a daily driver, hopefully it comes out ok. Any hints on removing the dash as I’m planning to take your initial advice on that . Thanks

Hodee

Donation Time
Thanks Jan. I certainly trust your evaluation of the job and your past experience. This is indeed my first attempt at the jobs described. I’m fairly patient,handy, meticulous and stubborn and not in any particular order. It’s just a daily driver, hopefully it comes out ok. Any hints on removing the dash as I’m planning to take your initial advice on that . Thanks
Got the dash loose and drilled the rivets to remove the cardboard. Now dry fitting the new dash for fitment. I have one of the later windscreens with the offset center stud that is about 1 inch toward the cab. I will trim the dash pad to mimic the original. “Has anyone ever installed the dash pad without glue or contact adhesive? Is this a bad idea? I figure the windscreen at the front, defroster vents, the tonneau studs and the cardboard rivets would hold everything in place without having to “get it perfect” the very first attempt at line up. I know about the wax paper trick between the adhesive but what are the downsides to “no glue?” Obviously I have”no clue “ thanks again to all the wizards on this forum.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I would put good money on with no glue it will move and likely being pinched the the front and retained under the dash the heta cycling and inconsistent securing would cause it to distort.

Acollin

Donation Time
I too replaced my dash pad and all the window rubber awhile back. A few things that helped in attaching the pad were weighty bags of garden sand and I was able to affix a plastic nozzle onto a can of spray glue and when I had the pad in position, I was able to shoot adhesive into hard to reach areas without mess. I then set the weighty sand bags in strategic places and was patient to let it set up. The directed glue spray was truly helpful.
i left my dash in place through my process. Not show quality, but I was was satisfied with the way it came out. Very please with the pad and windscreen rubbers— could have done better in the cardboard area.
be well
Andrew

Attachments

• IMG_0533.jpeg
    IMG_0533.jpeg
    597.2 KB · Views: 9

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Use as little contact cement as possible. Just look where the factory glued it, and thats ALL!!! I recommend to "brush" the contact cement on...not spray.
Jan

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Also, thin out the underside area where the frame sits on the cover. That excess foam needs to removed by hand sanding.
Jan

T L Alfreno

Donation Time
Hodee, I installed a new dash pad 7 years ago. The only place that I used adhesive was on the trailing edge where it wraps underneath to meet the dashboard... No regrets and don't foresee any problems.
My thought process at the time was that: You are not glueing the vinyl to the top of the dash, you are glueing the padding. Any significant distortional force exerted by the vinyl due to heat will cause it to separate the padding with half of it glued to the vinyl and half of it glued to your dash.

Acollin

Donation Time
I would agree with Jan to use as little adhesive as is necessary, but I would also contend that the factory remains of where the glue stayed on the car is not a good indication of what you may actually need And where you may actually need to place glue. Guides lines for sure. There are so many more variables today than 50+ years ago. The oddities in the new replacement panel— what you shaved off and what you left, you are not the technician who did this work day in and day out on car after car, the uniqueness of how your vehicle survived the last 50 years, understanding the glue you use and the odd contours of the shelf. Even the air temperature of the environment will determine how to use the glue and how the new pad conforms.
I can say without a doubt, after studying my 2016 pictures, without the sandbags and the ability to shoot bits of glue into places where the new dash pad was wobbly, I would have needed a few dash pads and any number of tries to get it right. I did not use a lot of glue but I did need to place some on bits of the shelf that were not stained. For me, the sand bags were a requirement and an inexpensive way of make certain the pad stayed in contact with the glue and the shelf For the appropriate set up time.
no offense intended by poorly chosen words and tone On my part , but thats my story.
be well all.