• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Windscreen removal

T L Alfreno

Donation Time
My experience replacing the dash pad was very different from what Acollin describes.
Sounds as though Acollin had to glue it to make it conform to the metal dash.
My replacement pad (sourced from SS) conformed very well to the metal dash, that very nice fit is what led to my conclusion that adhesive is not needed. After 7 years I cannot press on a spot on the pad that feels as though there's a gap between the pad and metal.
Sounds as though our pads were from different manufacturers.
So Hodee I would say, if your pad conforms well to the metal dash you'll be fine without adhesive.
I do believe however, that if you're glueing the pad down to prevent distortion from heat and age, that the padding is the weak link and not strong enough to prevent that.

Acollin

Platinum Level Sponsor
I believe the pad itself had a little warping ( also sourced from SS) and it came very well packaged. I saw a touch of glue here and there as insurance. I did mine in 2016 and still looks very nice and clean of distortion or gapping.

T L Alfreno

Donation Time
Acollin, I'm happy that your dash pad project turned out well, and Hodee I hope your project turns out well.
The work we perform on our Alpines are often times things that we have never done before and the satisfaction and good feeling we get from accomplishing them is ....why we do it.

Hodee

Donation Time
I thinned out the front edge as described and used a brush on contact cement. I was sure to use a friend and did many dry fit attempts so we both knew our jobs. The dash went on well but possibly a bit off center . The holes for the vent plates may have to be tweaked. For the cardboard piece, I’m going with 1/8 inch plexiglass covered in thin black vinyl pre drilled to match the previous hole/rivet locations . If I use my head and take my time with this whole process, I think I’ll be okay. Rushing a “ new to me “ job is never a good idea. Thanks so far…

Hodee

Donation Time
Well, everything turned out great up to this point. I vinyl wrapped the two aluminum pieces on each end and also made a copy of the cardboard out of plexiglass. Wrapped the plexiglass as well and installed new rivets underneath. Surprisingly, the vent hole locations were very close to original where the screws/bolts hold the metal plate to the dash. A little tweaking was all it needed. Now on to installing the glass/new rubber into the surround. The new rubber is seamed together I think in the center bottom. Where is the best place to start the roping process? I assume one side will go in fairly easy, but where do I begin? Thanks as always.