• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Who is runing a hardtop and why?

slippery_biscuit

Donation Time
I have been wondering what to do with my soft top. I have a hard top that needs restoring, and a soft top to be installed. I'm inclined to skip the soft top and go with the hard top for off season driving. I agree with many that the cars look good with the hard top in place, for all the series.

In lieu of a golf umbrella I wonder about taking the car to a marine upholsterer and having a simple bimini type top made to stretch from the windshield over the show bar and down to the boot. Perhaps salvage part of the brow piece to be used as the attaching feature. I'll send a pic if this should ever materialize.

Tullamore

Donation Time
I have been wondering what to do with my soft top. I have a hard top that needs restoring, and a soft top to be installed. I'm inclined to skip the soft top and go with the hard top for off season driving. I agree with many that the cars look good with the hard top in place, for all the series.

That is what I have decided to do with the Tiger I just finished. Maybe eventually I will put a soft top back on it but I didn't see any sense of fiddling with it when I was going to use the hardtop.

agmason54

Donation Time
who runs hardtops....

To y'all,
I've picked up hardtops for less than than the price of a new soft top. Mine runs on needle and thread and Walmart black duct tape.
I have four hardtops- one steel,one aluminium,one early fiberglass aftermarket & one later Parrish plastics. They beat a tarp anyday but my 'ragtop' is more usefull to me than any hardtop if you are actually going somewhere.It's no fun being chased by a thunderstorm without one.
Agm

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
Series 1 Hardtop

Does anyone have a good supplier for the SI & II headliner for the hardtop? Any references will be much appreciated.

Rick Guest
1960 Series I
1967 Series II

Gary T

Gold Level Sponsor
Hard Top Headliner

I bought the Sunbeam Specialties headliner for my SII hardtop. It is good quality material that is perforated and is not exactly like the original, but it will work better than the old torn one I removed. Reminds me of the headliner for a 57 T-Bird.

If you have an original and want to match the material and have it sewn to match is the only way to be Concourse correct.

Thanks.

skywords

Donation Time
I bought the Sunbeam Specialties headliner for my SII hardtop. It is good quality material that is perforated and is not exactly like the original, but it will work better than the old torn one I removed. Reminds me of the headliner for a 57 T-Bird.

If you have an original and want to match the material and have it sewn to match is the only way to be Concourse correct.

Thanks.

Concourse is that like Golfcourse?

64beam

Donation Time
I hate to pass on it only to regret it later. I have two other hard top vehicles. My nissan patrol and the 69 bronco. I love the hard tops on these vehicles but, come summer what a pain. No where to put them and I can't remove it myself. I have a soft top for both I still can't decide if I will use the partols or not. The bronco will get a softy for warm weather hard for the cold. I also drive these in the colder months. With only the hardtop vehicle usage went down dramatically for weather issues both ways.

I assume this HT would be easy-peasy to take on/off. Maybe it would extend my driving season. then again I do have a few other vehicles to drive when the weather turns...

bob

And yes my softtop needs some work. It was new 12 years ago and never used, but has two tears from improper installation.

Hi Norville,

What you have stated is probably the worst thing I find with the hard top - the storage (a bit tricky fitting one by yourself as well). If you do not have sufficient room, the hard top's are a bit of a pain. Before I got the Tiger, my Alpine's hard top was sold off so I did not experience one until recently. As what others have written, they are a different car with the hard top on, but I like driving them in any combination :D . If you buy one to restore, make sure that the hard top fits well before finishing it. My hardtop does not sit as well on one side, but I can live with it (just).

Regards, Robin.

norville

Donation Time
I thought I update everyone. I still haven't decided but, the price is now $400. Does that change anyone's opinion? Again, I'm not 100% convinced I need/want one, but I hate to pass on it if it's a good deal.

bob

66Tiger

Donation Time
Bob,
For some people $400-$600 is nothing...for others it's a mountain of money...only you can decide if it's a deal.

If you got the money and space buy it...you can always resell it at a later date. As time goes on I don't imagine hardtops will get any cheaper.

When I first got my car I didn't really want a top, then a couple years ago I got the bug...and now I have a couple project tops that I hope to make one out of...and I passed on a couple cheaper ones in better condition when I wasn't looking. Live and learn I guess. Just glad I didn't go ahead with hidden trunk hinges now!

Paul

norville

Donation Time
It's on the vehicle now, so the top is complete. If it's not I think I would pass especially if it's missing the trim. I do not believe it has any damage except for faded paint, foggy rear window(it may just be dirty), and most likely a headliner.

bob

napa 1

Donation Time
If it has all of it's trim and parts and is in good shape, I'd say it is probably a decent buy at $400.00...maybe offer $300??. The headliner is available as is the rear window...although its a bear to install. Keep us posted.

AlpineII

Donation Time
Interesting to see the thoughts on the early hardtops. I have two of them at home and use the hoist method mentioned earlier to store them up at the garage roof away where there is room. :D

Both of them came needing restoration, one as part of my first Alpine purchase, the second I picked up locally for $25.00.

norville

Donation Time
I looked at it today. I passed on it. I was hoping to throw in a few items to make up the $400 but there was nothing really left. Imaging a vehicle sitting in a junk yard for 20+ years... The top was not dented, but did need glass, headliner, rubber, amd chrome. I think I found the chrome but it was pretty bent up and it was missing the corners. I offered $300 would have went to $350 on a counter offer but, he said he'd let it sit there for that price.

the end

bob

thequick

Donation Time
Wow, just let it sit there! It's like he is saying "look at that money sitting on the ground, but I'd have to bend down and pick it up. Never mind."

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I think you made a good decision, Bob. If you keep your eyes open another one will surface at a more reasonable price relative to the condition.