• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Who is runing a hardtop and why?

norville

Donation Time
Who is running a hardtop and why?

Sorry to be so blunt folks. I have a series II I'm working on to be road ready for the spring. An opportunity to pic up a hardtop for it has arisen. Definitely needs paint and headliner, and the rear window looks pretty foggy. But it looks pretty solid. It's about 3.5 hours away and it $600. I looked at a s II prior to the one I have and it had a hardtop, however at the time it wasn't a selling point for me.

The goal for this cars is a part time daily driver when the weather is nice. I cannot say for sure if I will go totally nuts and wish I got the hardtop. I know I will not drive it in the winter. (road salt & brine) Will I drive it more on not so nice days with a hardtop? I live in the north east.

I'm curious to hear from folks that have hardtops and use them, I imagine if I had one it would sit in the corner of the garage, but I may be wrong?? I hate to pass on one as close as it is, I don't see them all that often. However I could definitely use the money elsewhere..

thanks
bob

Tullamore

Donation Time
I am using two hard tops at the moment.

1. I like the look.
2. The top cover is ugly on the SV.
3. I drive my SV as a daily driver so I can take it out in all weather.
4. Doesn't wear you down as much over long distances.
5. Easy enough to take on and off.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Sorry to be so blunt folks. I have a series II I'm working on to be road ready for the spring. An opportunity to pic up a hardtop for it has arisen. Definitely needs paint and headliner, and the rear window looks pretty foggy. But it looks pretty solid. It's about 3.5 hours away and it $600. I looked at a s II prior to the one I have and it had a hardtop, however at the time it wasn't a selling point for me.

The goal for this cars is a part time daily driver when the weather is nice. I cannot say for sure if I will go totally nuts and wish I got the hardtop. I know I will not drive it in the winter. (road salt & brine) Will I drive it more on not so nice days with a hardtop? I live in the north east.

I'm curious to hear from folks that have hardtops and use them, I imagine if I had one it would sit in the corner of the garage, but I may be wrong?? I hate to pass on one as close as it is, I don't see them all that often. However I could definitely use the money elsewhere..

thanks
bob

I got a HT for my SII a couple of years back.. reasons to won one:

1. They look good
2. Seal much better than the soft top
3 Make it feel like a 3rd car (open, soft top, hard top)
4 if you insulate them so they dont drone they are great on a long trip.
5 You dont have to restore it now.. but its always there when you feel the need if you buy it...

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
I agree with many of the previous listed points for the hard top. I'll add a few.

The hard top for the SV is real pretty and not many folks have seen one on an Alpine. Makes the car stand out. I am fortunate to have a really nice one that the previous owner went to a lot of trouble to restore beautifully. In 2 weeks I plan to show my car at Wheels of Britain here in Phoenix with the hard top on.

It doesn't require a Master's Degree in Engineering to put on...

Lastly, I have not had time to install the new Black convertable top on my car. Currently it has a white one. I'd rather get rained on than hoist a white top. When I get my Master's Degree in Engineering, I'll replace it.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hardtops are the only way to go to keep the rain & noise out. ALso, they offer way more security.
Jan

alpine_64

Donation Time
Another thing i should have said..

As you are running a SI/II style there is a huge advantage over the late models.. THEY DONT RUST!!!! They can get stress cracks around the B post mounting points, but thats about it.. also they dont have opening windows liek thy later ones.. if restoring one.. consider a small works style pressure vent in the back.

norville

Donation Time
Thanks all please keep the input coming...

Could someone list or PM me a list of what I need to grab if I go for it. Latches, front & rear?

bob

L

Lee DeRamus saoca0404

When I bought my SII, someone had stolen the soft top and frame from a previous owner. I have found a soft top frame, and the cantrails, but not the cantrail clips that attach them to the top frame. I just never got around to adding the soft top. I built a small hoist with a couple of double pulleys and a 4 S hooks to lift the hard top off the car. Sometimes I use it (especially if it is cold), most of the time I leave it at home. In Louisiana, this works out pretty good. I do carry a large golf umbrella incase I get caught in a shower, though. It is sort of a chore to drive, shift and hold the umbrella all at the same time!!!
Lee

napa 1

Donation Time
Hi Bob. The early series "bubble" hardtop gives the car a really unique look. I tend to get more attention and questions about the car when I drive it with the top on. Also the black top contrasting to the car color is eye catching. The (aluminum) early series tops are quite light and can be lifted off (if you have long arms) quite easily. It's actually surprisingly snug fitting..I left my series one out in the rain last night :( and the hardtop really kept it quite dry inside...unlike the soft top.
New plexiglass rear windows are available new, as are headliners and most of the seals and other bits and pieces...with the exception of the stainless trim that goes around the back window and around the edges of the top. What you're hoping to find when you buy a top is that it has all of its stainless trim, the rest can be bouqht or found easily. If the top you're looking at doesn't come with the stainless, you'll have to search for some through the club or on ebay etc.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bob. everything the guys have said is true. But you plainly stated you want this car for fair weather driving. So I ask you, why do you want a hard top? You will probably need a soft top anyway.

Bill

norville

Donation Time
Bob. everything the guys have said is true. But you plainly stated you want this car for fair weather driving. So I ask you, why do you want a hard top? You will probably need a soft top anyway.

Bill

I hate to pass on it only to regret it later. I have two other hard top vehicles. My nissan patrol and the 69 bronco. I love the hard tops on these vehicles but, come summer what a pain. No where to put them and I can't remove it myself. I have a soft top for both I still can't decide if I will use the partols or not. The bronco will get a softy for warm weather hard for the cold. I also drive these in the colder months. With only the hardtop vehicle usage went down dramatically for weather issues both ways.

I assume this HT would be easy-peasy to take on/off. Maybe it would extend my driving season. then again I do have a few other vehicles to drive when the weather turns...

bob

And yes my softtop needs some work. It was new 12 years ago and never used, but has two tears from improper installation.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Is that a fair price? I'll admit...I'm pretty cheap.

bob

No one has answered this question directly. I am not an expert on the early hardtops, but $600 seems high for a SII top that needs work. This almost puts it in the range of the 3/VI/V tops, whose price is driven up by the fact that they fit Tigers. I haven't paid strict attention to the early ones, but it seems to me that ones needing work generally go for a fraction of this price. Anyone disagree?

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Early hardtop

I agree w/ you Jim. I was lucky enough to find one in a boneyard and got it cheap. Even w/ all the restoration costs I am still well under the $600.00 asking price. Maybe things have changed a lot more than I think, but at that price you might find one not needing work.

napa 1

Donation Time
I think you're probably right $600 is a bit much, I think you could get one in pretty good shape for that.... however tops in good condition don't come around all that often, and it may be worth it if it is straight, not dented and has all of the stainless trim...the trim is the key..it is just so hard to find. The early series tops may begin commanding higher prices because there were fewer of this style made since they only fit series I and II.

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
The beauty of the Alpine is how it fits so many niches, especially a post SIII. That boot is amazing and as stated earlier the car can have multiple personalities. When I was a teen with mine I didn't mind combing my hair with a blow torch after top down runs. I have become somewhat impatient with that aspect of top down driving and in my less adventuresome years don't do it much. The hardtop is wonderful, no blow torch and there's no need to wear earplugs either. A good sounding CD can actually be enjoyed without using a couple hundred watts of power.

Sunbeams just seem like engineers cars. After having friends with Triumphs (4's, Spitfires and 6's) and having owned 2 Morris Garages previously, the Alpine is a really wonderful car and that hardtop is no exception.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Interesting thread !

After almost 20 years of open top Sunbeaming I also recently just switched to using Hardtops. Can say it makes all the difference and looks so great especially the contrast between black top and bright body colour.

Every other advantage has been mentioned already.

For the prices yes even the early H/Ts are now picking up. Just bought a SI/II early H/T in good condition via Ebay over here in Germany for 480 Euros which equals approx 620 $. Perhaps not entirely representative but had to fight hard to win it...

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I sold one on eBay about 5 years ago. IIRC, it was complete but needed restoration and went for under $100. They buyer then paid $500 for someone to come to my house, pack it in a box and ship it to CA. That never made sense to me, but it was his decision.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
The beauty of the Alpine is how it fits so many niches, especially a post SIII. That boot is amazing and as stated earlier the car can have multiple personalities. When I was a teen with mine I didn't mind combing my hair with a blow torch after top down runs. I have become somewhat impatient with that aspect of top down driving and in my less adventuresome years don't do it much. The hardtop is wonderful, no blow torch and there's no need to wear earplugs either. A good sounding CD can actually be enjoyed without using a couple hundred watts of power.

Sunbeams just seem like engineers cars. After having friends with Triumphs (4's, Spitfires and 6's) and having owned 2 Morris Garages previously, the Alpine is a really wonderful car and that hardtop is no exception.

Totally in agreement. The interior having been designed by an aircraft designer really shows it - multi-adjustable seats (height/rake/fore+aft), adjustable pedals, and indicator lights you can dim are truly unique for cars of that era. Indeed, adjustable pedals only appeared on other cars a few years ago! Add the adjustable steering wheel (also somewhat rare in cars of that era) and you have a car you can really make to fit the driver.

And as for the boot (trunk), the later Alpines definitely have the largest boot available on *any* British sports car, and indeed I believe any sports car from any country. I've put footlockers back there!

I have a hardtop for my SV and it completely transforms the car - it's like driving two different vehicles. Hardtop off and it's like any sports car, but hardtop on and it's like a sedan - no drafts, more visibility, and *much* quieter.

skywords

Donation Time
When living in Arizona.

1.) Skin Cancer
2.) Cooler
3.) Car looks better
4.) During monsoon season one has little time to fiddle with the soft top.