• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wheels

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Bill, Though I live only 2 hours from Seattle I am in a unique rain shadow micro-climate. 15" rain annually, about the same as Kingman, AZ. I did live in Aberdeen, WA when I was a kid. Right on the coast and rain was measured in feet, over 100". I remember it set a record for measurable precipitation every day from October 1st to March 31st! Everything rusted or corroded there!

Last edited:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Good. Then you understand when I say Charles does not have much to worry about if he uses steel. His climate is not only dry, it is hot.
Bill

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Jim, Bill is correct, here in West Texas SAND is far more common than rain. After a car gathering we sit around drinking beer and belching DUST!

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Got the Chinese 165 x 65R-14" tire and mounted it on a 14" x 5" on 4.25 wheel...AND IT FITS IN THE SPARE WELL. Under $50.00 delivered. I'll attach pix if I can.

Attachments

• IMG_2318.JPG
    IMG_2318.JPG
    557.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2319.JPG
    IMG_2319.JPG
    539.8 KB · Views: 31

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Forgot, tire inflated is 22" tall and roughly 6.7" wide. Since it is a regular tire I feel safer than a temporary one. HAIDA is the brand and I thought it was made in India, but Made in China is molded in the tire.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Looks like you dropped the floor of the trunk a couple of inches. Good idea, more luggage space. Or is that fuel tank space?

Bill

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
What type car did that 14 inch steel wheel come from? Same bolt circle as a Sunbeam? Stock hubcap fit OK?
thanks. Eric

Charles Johns

Donation Time
The floor is dropped 3" to recess the 16 gallon tank. 65 sunbeam, the wheels are stock Ford 14" x 5" for a Fox Body Mustang, T-Bird, and several others. I got mine on-line for $41.00 each. They are refurbished to look new with trueness checked, welds inspected, and painted. They looked new when I got them and they were shipped in boxes. The spare tire wheel is one I got at a wrecking yard for about $15.00 and cleaned it up and painted it. It looks square (true) but I did not do a real trueness check...its a spare. Checking for runout, dings, squareness of the mounting face to the rim, and out-of-round shape seems worth the extra expense...especially since I was looking at $100.00 plus wheels I was not sure would stay under the fenders. These work fine. The backspace is just over 4" with 4 lugs on 4.25" hole spacing and the center hole clears the front hub. Looking at tire size and shape, 185 x 70 -14 will work.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I'm not sure which car it came out of but I got a fox body Mustang one that was made out of aluminum..
Obviously as a compact spare it'll never be really pretty but it certainly is prettier in aluminum. Craigslist was my source. Whenever I get to a junkyard it's picked pretty good.