• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wheels

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Finally located a steel wheel that fits my Series V perfectly. A 1984 Ford Mustang 4 lug works. It is 5" or 5.5" - 14" with 4.25" on centers with an approximately 2 3/4" center hole. The center hole is not round but has an odd shape but fits Alpine hubs. There is a very nice mag style 1984 Mustang wheel if you prefer that. I found them on-line at Wheels Tires and More. They keep the tires UNDER the fender in the 14" size and I located over a dozen tires that will work in Hankook, Uniroyal, TOYO, and several others. I drive the cars I build all over the US with my wife, so being able to find tires is important and steel wheels with a spare makes for peace of mind. With small hubcaps and painted the wheel gives a stock look with 1" taller and 1/2" to 1" wider tires for better grip. I really like the mag style but was unable to locate one to measure backspace though they are 5.5" wide at $128.00 each. They are refurbished and checked for trueness. The steel ones are $45.00 but I got mine at the wrecking yard for $25.00 for two and $20.00 each at a second yard. I do not want to cut the fenders or have rubber hanging out side, especially in front.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I have the compact spare from a Fox body Mustang . It fits under the false floor.

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Warren, being an old Hot Rodder I remember guys installing wider rearends and reversed wheels which put the tires way outside the fenders. It always looked like poor engineering...which it was, and threw water rooster-tails in the rain. I'll use a stock 13" wheel with a 185 x 70 - 13 tire as a spare in the stock upright position. Your compact spare reminds me of a guy saying to a friend who also used a compact spare, "But it is so much smaller and can't go over 50 mph." My friend had a great answer..."If it came down to sitting beside the highway in 100+ degree heat in Texas or doing 50 mph to the nearest service station, I'll gladly drive 50 mph." My 13" spare is just 1/2" shorter than my regular tires, so I might be able to do 55 mph. Wheeeee!

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Not so sure a 185 tire will fit in the spare wheel well. At least the one I tried on a 6" wheel would not. Being on a narrow wheel might make a big difference.

Glad you found the solution to you wheel problem.
Bill

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Charles, Is this your wheel? It would look good with baby moon and chrome trim ring. Where I got the picture says fit 79-93.

79-93 mustang.jpg

Charles Johns

Donation Time
260, yes that is it. I think with a 13" it will fit. I think I tried it and it fit but was snug in the well. Bill, how is your situation? Very sad to see the Alpine after the crunch. Is everyone doing okay?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
My situation is strange. Had a strange, but un-ignorable chest pain and tiredness Friday. Thought I had pneumonia. Spent most of Saturday in the ER, they thought it was heart pain, but they found nothing wrong. The good news is the pain only lasted one day and I'm feeling fine.

Making good headway on getting ready for the new body, probable delivery Monday.

Bill

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
You may already know this, but it is a number I go by. UTQG= tread life. 200 and under for track use. 300 to 500 for sports car handling. Over 500 commuter car/daily driver. Lower number stickier for traction, higher number harder, less traction, but longer tread life.

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Thanks guys. The Hankook I plan to purchase have a 680 A A (70,000 miles warranty) rating at $70.00 base price...which is about $400.00 a set mounted. As a highway car the harder rubber makes for longer life but can increase road noise. I had these on my 65 Mustang and they were great. First, with automatic and overdrive, extra noise insulation, premo sound system (I like my tunes on the road), Air conditioning, and matching luggage...it ain't a racer. Now, if one wants to check out top speed...that calculates up to 120+ if the engine can pull 4800 rpm...which I doubt. Once above the century mark horsepower must be very serious, and I built for torque in the 1500 to 4000 rpm range. I feel sure I have added 20-25 HP and 15 lbs. ft. torque, but it is NOT a high revver.

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Thanks belmateo, I have that chart on my favorites. A very handy one for any car builder. Bill Blue, you are right about the 13" tires I have. It fits the tire well opening but will NOT go to the bottom for proper anchoring. With the air out it works, but that kinda-sorta defeats the purpose. Hello Fox-Body temporary spare.

Charles Johns

Donation Time
260, my mind sometimes works...but not always. My statement about 13" tire working was for Bill and the spare in a previous post. The steel wheel you posted is the wheel I now have, and it works. Like you suggested, painted with baby moons and maybe beauty rims, it will look almost original.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks guys. The Hankook I plan to purchase have a 680 A A (70,000 miles warranty) rating at $70.00 base price...which is about $400.00 a set mounted. As a highway car the harder rubber makes for longer life but can increase road noise. I had these on my 65 Mustang and they were great. First, with automatic and overdrive, extra noise insulation, premo sound system (I like my tunes on the road), Air conditioning, and matching luggage...it ain't a racer. Now, if one wants to check out top speed...that calculates up to 120+ if the engine can pull 4800 rpm...which I doubt. Once above the century mark horsepower must be very serious, and I built for torque in the 1500 to 4000 rpm range. I feel sure I have added 20-25 HP and 15 lbs. ft. torque, but it is NOT a high revver.
My Flex came with Hankook tires. I wasn’t driving the Flex that regularly and the Hankooks flat spotted so bad that I had to replace them. I like the Cooper Zeon RS3-A tires. I have them on a Crown Vic (second set) and the Flex. Good ride, quiet, and handle great, wet or dry.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jim, where Charles lives rust is a specially invited guest. Not the persistent curse your familiar with.

Bill