• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

What's your set up for washing parts?

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I was born a little later than most of you guys but I've grown up with and still do wash most parts in gasoline. It's just the way I was 'raised' - when I'm working on race cars the solvent provided comes in a red 5 gallon gas can, and it's gas.

I've heard that it may seep into your skin and could affect your liver ... I haven't researched that but it sure does make me stinky. And when it isn't gas it's brake cleaner, which makes my hands look like I have Athlete's foot

I guess I'd try to encourage you to find a safer alternative, but I can understand.

As to the brake cleaner, for God's sake be careful with that stuff, and *never* use it on anything you're welding, particularly arc welding - chlorinated brake cleaners can convert to a deadly poisonous inhalant for which there is no known antidote (phosgene gas).

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I was born a little later than most of you guys but I've grown up with and still do wash most parts in gasoline. It's just the way I was 'raised' - when I'm working on race cars the solvent provided comes in a red 5 gallon gas can, and it's gas.

Several years ago, early in my Naval career, I was splitting rent on a house with a couple of shipmates. One had a '55 Chevy that he was building a 396 for. He had been out on the carport scrubbing the heads in a bucket of gas. It started to rain, so he brought it into the utility room. I was in the den watching TV, but for reasons unknown, got up and went to the utility room where he was sitting on the floor, legs around the bucket, face over his work. I reminded him that there was a gas water heater in the corner. He said, "So." I then told him that when it lights burner to heat water the gas fumes could ignite. He stood up and said, "Yeah, I guess you're right." Then we heard "click", "frrooooom" and he was chest deep in a flash with a burning bucket of gasoline in front of him. We manage to throw a blanket over it and no damage was done, except for singed drapes. I often wonder what would have happened had I not gone out there.

And as for solvents; my fingers are still suffering the effects of scrubbing the gunked up oil pan from my '65 Mustang with solvent and a wad of course steel wool several years ago. Finger prints are bearly there and fingertips split with the slightest provocation.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Mike, a similar thing happened here in my local town. I was a teenager working as a mechanic at the Sunoco gas station across from our local Chrysler-Plymouth dealer... all of a sudden the entire front showroom exploded in a flash of flames.

Seems one of the guys was cleaning oil spots off the floor with gasoline and someone lit up a cigarette.

It blew glass from those front windows all the way down the street and into the next block. Amazingly, nobody was killed, though the 'cleaner' was pretty singed.

65beam

Donation Time
parts

i sell 5 gallon pails of brake cleaner to a coal mine in this area. they use it to clean rear end housings,etc on their equipment. i think you'll find very little if any chlorinated brake cleaner being sold. it's another item that can mess up your waste stream.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
NAPA Ozzyjuice is the stuff I have in my tank. Water based. The best part about it is the 5 gallon jug it comes in is great for oil storage until you can dump it
It is okay for basic dirt or oil but anything really on there, not so much. You have to soak it for one or two years. Not as toxic as the other stuff though but would still use gloves. Won't blow up either.

CatalogItemDetail.aspx

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
...Not as toxic as the other stuff though but would still use gloves. ...

Yeah, I'm with you, Tracy... I use gloves now with all solvents. I didn't used to, but like others here I've noticed that my skin suffers if I don't. Plus, I figure it's not hurting me to cut down on the exposure to the chemicals.

I got a pair of *very* heavy duty North Industrial Butyl Gloves that are a loose fit on my hands. I don't recommend any fleece-lined gloves since they will easily get contaminated by splashed solvent, and because they will accumulate dirt and sweat. These you can wash out with soap and water and they're stiff enough to stand open to dry. The dang things are so thick they'll last into the next ice age. I have them hanging on a clip at the side of the parts washer so they're quick at hand (pun intended).

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/NORTH-BY-HONEYWELL-Chemical-Resistant-Glove-4T459?Pid=search

4JD46_AS01