• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

What's your set up for washing parts?

mccormac98

Gold Level Sponsor
Hi guys,

I want to buy a parts washer. What set up do you use? What solvent/cleaner do you recommend?

Thanks in advance,

Bill McCormack
Series 3

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
My wife got me one from Harbor Freight. Very large. It needs about 10 gallons minimum to get up to the pump level. I use a NAPA product that is water based called something odd like Aussie Goo or some such. It is not bad but not as good as the old Chevron solvent (that of course destroys all living things, streams, people, etc).

Oh, the tank is rusting through and is only about 4 years old. My advice, get a smaller one from a really good source and maybe something made of plastic. The pump is a nice feature (mine is for water based only btw).

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have a really nice Safety-Kleen Model #14 parts washer... has an easy-to-change solvent container and it lasts me about a year or two, depending on how much I use it. To change out the fluid you just unscrew the drain, lift off the basin, screw in the bung plug and return the cartridge to SK for recycling (or they'll come to your house), at which point they sell you a new container of solvent. The cartridges even incorporate a carrying handle. SK will recycle all of the solvent, so it's better for the environment, and the solvent is the traditional parts washing solvent, not the crappy water-based kind. It has a built-in pump and a flow-thru brush on a hose that works well - in fact I've yet to wear out the bristles on mine. The unit is made completely of steel or powder-coated steel and it also has a fire-triggered lid so that if there should be a fire the lid will automatically drop and close the unit. I'd shy away from plastic washers as they would simply melt and add to a fire.

I've owned the thing for over 20 years and it's still running fine... just remember when you change out the solvent to also ask them for a couple of filters and change it when you change the solvent... then keep a spare in the rare case that you clog a filter (symptom will be slow flow rate - only ever happend once to me).

The cart shown, which I also have, is sold separately, but unlike most parts washers, you can then roll it around where you need it... it's kinda hard to move those 15 gallon drum units. When I'm disassembling a motor or something I can roll it right to the car and wash the parts as I bag them.... very handy.

The unit ain't cheap, but it's excellent quality and will last you a lifetime... heck, it will probably last your grandkid's lifetime.

http://s-kstore.com/index.php/bench...-14.html?SID=8a58618a1954462023b9d8cc7e1b5f24

39.gif

65beam

Donation Time
parts

i have a tabel top parts washer with pump and flexible nozzle that we bought from tractor supply. it holds roughly 2 gallons. harbor freight, sears and any farm supply store have them. i use odorless mineral spirits in mine. a 5 gal pail costs about 35.00. also available at tractor supply. if you spill it, use absorbent pads or oil dri to clean it up and throw in the garbage. there are others that hold 5 gallons of cleaner. these types are great for home use. anything else is over kill unless you are in the repair business full time.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Kevin, I like yours better. Might replace mine with yours. I think mine was built for Mafia controlled garages. You could get a body and parts of another in it. Close the lid and take it out in the desert. (Yes, I hate that water stuff too, I have a 5 gallon can of the old Chevron solvent that is wonderful. Have had it for longer than I can remember. Am afraid to get rid of it because our here, I probably will never get more.) I love my wife for getting it for me but am waiting for the bottom to rust out (should be any day) so I can replace!!! In my garage, the spill will probably help the floor anyway.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I love my wife for getting it for me...

Funny enough, my wife bought mine for me as well. Over the years she's also bought me things like a Skat sand-blasting cabinet, a drill press and a 2-ton Walker floor jack, as well.

"My wife. I think I'll keep her."

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
they should all be keepers.
bobbo

Well... the first one wasn't. Ran off after 3 years with a guy who was a guest at our wedding (who later dumped her!)

This one... it will be 25 years next year.

As for the quote... those of you old enough to remember the Geritol commercials are smiling.

65beam

Donation Time
parts

puff,
the difference between your wife and mine is that my wife uses all of the above plus many other tools when we build a sunbeam. she does most of the hydraulic work on the cars. she just has to be carefull that all of the oil is off her hands before she sees patients the next day.

mccormac98

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks guys for the help. I have been especially worried about the solvent choices. I like the Safety-Clean setup if I could get real solvent with it. I didn't see that option on their website though. I hope being in CA is not going to be an issue.

Cheers,

Bill McCormack
Series 3

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks guys for the help. I have been especially worried about the solvent choices. I like the Safety-Clean setup if I could get real solvent with it. I didn't see that option on their website though. I hope being in CA is not going to be an issue.

Cheers,

Bill McCormack
Series 3

Hmm... should be avaliable in CA. The solvent used is also sometimes called Stoddard Solvent, and that's the solvent most folks would commonly think of as traditional 'parts washer solvent' - it has a pretty distinctive smell.

The MSDS for it is here:

http://www.safety-kleen.com/msds/82658REV1-12.pdf

...and it states...

Ecotoxicity
A Static Acute Bioassay as per California Department of Fish and Game WPCL was done using fathead minnows and up to 750 ppm of the products in water. The material passed the bioassay.

Now, it's *is* a cancer risk, but only if inhaled in great quantities over a long period of time. So, as far as state regs go:

State Regulations
This product may contain a detectable amount of benzene CAS 71-43-2,p-dichlorobenzene CAS 106-46-7, ethylbenzene CAS 100-41-4, and naphthalene CAS 91-20-3. WARNING: These chemicals are known to the State of California to cause cancer.

This product may contain a detectable amount of benzene CAS 71-43-2 and toluene CAS 108-88-3. WARNING: These chemicals are known to the State of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm.

U.S. State Regulations
The following components appear on one or more of the following state hazardous substances lists:
Component: Distillates (petroleum), hydrotreated light (¹related to: Stoddard solvent)
CAS: 64742-47-8
MA: Yes¹
MN: Yes¹
NJ: Yes¹
PA: Yes¹
CA: Yes¹

Given CA and PA (where I live) report the same, and I can still get it, I should think you can too. I'd give Safety-Kleen a call and ask.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
"WARNING: These chemicals are known to the State of California to cause cancer.

Maybe it's something in California, but isn't EVERYTHING know to the State of California to cause cancer?:rolleyes:

"Saliva is known to cause cancer. But only if swallowed in small amounts over a long period of time." - George Carlin.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
puff,
the difference between your wife and mine is that my wife...

You know nothing whatsoever about my wife, nor how capable or incapable she may be, and I resent your inference.

For the record, she's a research scientist and educator with patents to her name, and if you or anyone you know has ever been hospitalized they've almost certainly had the advantage of at least one of them, and it may well have saved their life, as it has for countless others.

When you learn how to spell, punctuate a sentence and find the 'shift' key, let me know and I'll start taking you seriously. Meanwhile, I'd appreciate it if you'd not insult my wife.

65beam

Donation Time
parts

puff,
CHILL OUT! keep in mind that stoddard solvent and mineral spirits are different products. most mineral spirits are now odorless. stoddard solvent is turpentine. paint thinner. the smell is strong. we sell very little stoddard solvent anymore. it contains naptha. not something you want ending up in your waste chain such as used oil.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
puff,
CHILL OUT! keep in mind that stoddard solvent and mineral spirits are different products. most mineral spirits are now odorless. stoddard solvent is turpentine. paint thinner. the smell is strong. we sell very little stoddard solvent anymore. it contains naptha. not something you want ending up in your waste chain such as used oil.

From the MSDS, which you obviously did not read:

Product Code: 6605, 6616

Product Use:
Cleaning and degreasing metal parts. If this product is used in combination with other products, refer to the Material Safety Data Sheet for those products.

Synonyms:
Parts Washer Solvent; Petroleum Distillates; Petroleum Naphtha; Naphtha, Solvent; Stoddard Solvent; Mineral Spirits.

Safety-Kleen Systems, Inc.

65beam

Donation Time
parts

puff,
i've been selling these products for several decades. i also spend a lot of time in mines of all types where items such as this are critical. before retiring i also spent several years as the manager of our enviromental unit. that included used products and even parts washers and related products. now that i'm back as a contract employee, i'm involved in selling these products to customers. i do know a little about MSDS sheets.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I grew up in the days of gasoline in a coffee can, with your bare hands.

Ha, me, too, Ken! I built many a motor that way. And I used to sprinkle that dirty gasoline on my gravel driveway to kill the weeds - hey, two birds with one stone!

Of course we also used to blow off the brake dust with an air gun back then, too - yikes! When I think of the many exposures I've had over the years I shudder to think... it's a wonder I'm not the guy on the advert... "My name is Bob, and I have mesothelioma..."!

I'm glad that now there's safer alternatives like recyclable parts-washing solvents, where we don't have to end up pouring out that soiled gasoline onto the ground, or throwing solvent-soaked items into our garbage... it all ends up in our ecosystem in the end.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Well... the first one wasn't. Ran off after 3 years with a guy who was a guest at our wedding (who later dumped her!)

This one... it will be 25 years next year.

As for the quote... those of you old enough to remember the Geritol commercials are smiling.

Not quite right. I am old enough to remember the Geritol commercials but young enough to have not pay attention to them.
An old neighbor of mine's wife took off with her boss after 10 years of marriage, the new hubby promptly died on her. Oh well.

AutoX47

Donation Time
I was born a little later than most of you guys but I've grown up with and still do wash most parts in gasoline. It's just the way I was 'raised' - when I'm working on race cars the solvent provided comes in a red 5 gallon gas can, and it's gas.

I've heard that it may seep into your skin and could affect your liver ... I haven't researched that but it sure does make me stinky. And when it isn't gas it's brake cleaner, which makes my hands look like I have Athlete's foot