• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

What do ya think of this Tiger?

alpine_64

Donation Time
This is the 2nd time ive seent ha car up for sale.. my .02c

There is a lot of rust.. but in the usual areas. real issue.. how abd ar ethe spring hangers? If they are not toast.. its not THAT bad.

The car has all the hard to find expensive tiger parts.. its all there.. if you can weld yourself.. and the hangers are not shot.. its a viable project if picked up for say 5-8K

alpine_64

Donation Time
The spring hangers are the key on these cars IMHO.. if they are to far gone the car is a rebody candidate ALGER.. if not.. doors, sills, and floors.. pass throughs.. they can all be obtained and the car can be restored.. but it would probably be cheaper to get a solid alpien for those parts .. than buy the repro panels.. so not a rebodied car.. but you loose an alpine anyway

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

If the X-frame was not so rusted I would say yes it's salvageable, but looking at the rest of the frame and body how long would the hangers last? You could re-fabricate a lot of it, but you would be better off using an Alpine body (dare I say it). How did it get that rusty anyway? Even the chrome rocker covers are rusting, but the diff has a nice covering of oil. I am also very surprised that the car did not creak and groan when put on the lift.

Regards, Robin.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
If it was given to me I would take it with no hesitation.
Then remove the body from all the frame compotents.Find a frame and build one hell of a one of Tiger.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
mccoy_hockey_stick_its_dead_jim.jpg

agmason

Donation Time
I believe the car had a reserve the last time it was on Ebay. A well known Sunbeam expert in Ohio has a Tiger that is rusted much like this car. He sent it through the dippers and what came out was unrestorable. He was busy transferring parts to another chassis the last time I saw the car. Some day he will have a "restored" Tiger.

64beam

Donation Time
Did you read the comments at the bottom of the listing. Someone got nearly $7000 for a Tiger in similar condition. Time will tell if it will make it to that amount. Hopefully someone can get some use out of it (if only for parts).

Regards, Robin.

65beam

Donation Time
tiger

dude,
there are a couple tigers this bad floating around here in ohio. one of them will probably donate some parts for the restoration of my alpine. we're also using parts of a rust free series 3GT for this restoration. anything is possible! of course some of you have heard the story about us converting a mk2 back to an alpine.

64beam

Donation Time
...of course some of you have heard the story about us converting a mk2 back to an alpine.

:eek: YOU DID WHAT!!! Your lucky I'm sitting down. That does not make sense to me. The Alpine is worth maybe 10-20% of a Mk II Tiger. I'm really lost for words.

Regards, Robin.

65beam

Donation Time
tiger

sounds like you had the same reaction as the tiger owner did at daytona two years ago. the rest of this all in fun story is interesting.

Jim E

Donation Time
Looks a lot like a car I looked at in Charlotte NC a few years back, at that time there was a pile of Alpine bits with it, then it could be a different rusty Tiger.

agmason

Donation Time
"of course some of you have heard the story about us converting a mk2 back to an alpine."

beam,

I have a story to top that one. Myself and a couple of friends turned a Harrington Lemans into a Venezia!

65beam

Donation Time
tiger

dude,
there is a guy here in ohio that is capable of anything and he restores our cars. you really need to know the rest of the story to understand why i said that about the mk2. and yes, i am the type of person that would use a tiger body to restore an alpine. a tiger may donate parts to help restore my latest alpine. we also are cutting up a rust free series 3 GT for parts for this latest project. the end result is that another alpine is saved.

agmason

Donation Time
"we also are cutting up a rust free series 3 GT for parts for this latest project. the end result is that another alpine is saved."

beam,

Yeah, my next project is to cut up a rust-free Harrington Alpine to save a rusted out Tiger I found. Then I plan to convert another perfect Venzenia to a series 1 Alpine. After I'm done, there will be one more Tiger and Alpine in the world!

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
All that converting makes me sad

The rarest series Alpine for example-- with rarity measured by cars remaining in existence -- is Series IV if I sorted the spreadsheet correctly.

I'd guess a lot of lucky Tigers are running on SIV legs...

Tullamore

Donation Time
First would have to be the Harrington Alpines and then I would think the Series I is more rare than the Series IV.

What spreedsheet are you looking at?