• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Vents

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I think the most important thing is establishing a high rate of air flow through the engine compartment.
jerry, I agree ! The idea is to figure a nice neat and efficient way!

I have seen a couple of the Guys add a tiny fan along side the vent escape holes that kick on either manually or auto when in slow traffic times, they just don't seem to move enough air in my opinion.

These comments are not directly related to the vents but does impact the cooling: Recently a gent was trying to figure why his newly acquired v6 was running too warm (hot) for his desires. The by-pass hose was plugged at the intake and the heater hose was connected directly to the By-pass housing on the rear of the timing cover. His thermostat housing heater hose connection had been plugged off.

FORD has a specifically detailed routing for the water passages, His was not done accordingly. He has since re-routed and has a better cooling thus far.

loose_electron

Donation Time
MY interpertation of vents.View attachment 23220
The one thing I would suggest on all of these vent schemes, is to slope slightly the lower edge of these "port holes" so that water drains out, when sitting on level ground. Less water into the engine compartment and lower chance of there being a place for rain or condensation to pool and start a rust spot.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jerry, My design has about 1" to 1 & 1/2" fall from the inside to the outside and about the same tilt from the leading edge (front of the fender) toward the rear of the Sunbeam. The idea is to create less resistance for the air to escape and to reduce any likelihood of foreign matter entering the engine compartment by a screen mesh.